What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Field grey / feldgrau modellers paint?

starshell

Premium Member
Good evening,
My apologies if this subject has been covered already...
I am looking for a good quality First war Feldgrau modellers paint, but oil based, not an acrylic. Ideally a Satin finish.
I'm assuming Acrylic, being water based, is unsuitable for metal surfaces in terms of rust forming when applied and durability?

Checking with Humbrol etc has given mixed results: they sell it, used to sell it, no longer sell it, etc.
Would anyone have any idea as to where to obtain such a paint. Needed for small projects so not in need of bulk tins.
Also, is Humbrol No.24 'Trainer Yellow' a good match for First war British HE pieces, or way off the mark.

Any pointers would be very much appreciated.
Many thanks in advance!
Cheers.

If you want a oil base paint then, go to a paint shop like Cane Adam or household paint supplier like Brewers and they will mix you up a small tin about 1 litres in any RAL colour you want oil base. Acrylic is fine for any metal base, most spray paints in tins are Acrylic, even if you use oil or ceulose if you haven't dealt with the rust it will grin through eventually. Your trainer yellow would be a BS381c colour, not sure on the number but most paint shops would knock up any RAL or BS colour coded paint, minimum about 1.0 or smaller. I have found that a filler primer spray in yellow is a good match for HE shell bodies.

When I restored a WWI German helmet, I painted it in RAL 7009 Grungrau and was fairly pleased with the resulting colour. Revell also do a modellers version in small tins = 67 Greenish Grey, Matt.

I have also used Humbrol matt trainer yellow to restore an 18 Pounder HE shell and was happy with it.

I would however recommended going over a modern Matt paint with a light coat of Matt lacquer to add a slight sheen. Completely Matt paint is a modern finish = WWI period lead based paints were slightly satin.

Many thanks BMG50 and peregrinvs,

Very useful information indeed and exactly what I was looking for so much appreciated.
Cheers!