What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3pr 'Target' marked projectile.

Burney Davis

Premium Member
I have attached a picture of a 3pr projectile made by BSC (Bethlehem Steel Co) and dated 1915. I am guessing that the 'Target' is referencing Target Practice. I have never seen the word appears before on a WW1 projectile. Is this common on American made ordnance in WW1? It came with an original plug. TIA

20210918_153444.jpg20210918_153546.jpg

The 37mm types are marked T MkV the T meaning Target, but the full word is new to me. It might imply that the projectile
does not have a hardened tip.This is useful pre assembly but lost once in the casing so there must be a further indicator that it's
a non combat projectile/round. Are there any traces of paint colour on it ? It may have had a red band near the tip ? if I recall red is the
U.S.N. practice colour ~ (White tip if tracer fitted.) Maybe limited orders (few/none ? in collections so not many lots made, or lots of them and pretty much used up so none left for us!) for this so extra trouble taken ?

Hello,
Can't really help but I saw marking "TARGET" on old ordnance
-ww1 UK 18pr Target smoke wp (nothing to see with your shell)
-US 3in Target Practice

3in TP
3in shell.jpg3IN tp.jpg3in TP 2.jpg

Following further research and using David Ibbetson's excellent Volume 3 on QF Ammunition I can confirm this is a "Shell,Q.F. Steel 3 Pr, Bethlehem, Mk I" converted for use for Target Practice. Always nice to put an old thread to bed!