What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Item designation

Don't know, but smoke or tear gas. The RG seems to indicate military rather than LE, but I don't know that much about the use of RCA/smoke in the UK. Is there a difference in rounds? In example, in the US LE historically stayed with 37mm, military with 40mm. That has shifted a little, but still is correct much of the time. Measurements of your item?

Isn't it a Radway Green-made ARWEN 37 mm round?

As mentioned earlier, either four-element CN, CS or smoke.

Three element versions are still produced, such as the AR-2 and AR-4 series:

AR-2-CN-SR3 ARWEN Pyrotechnic CN Irritant, Short Range Three Canisters;
AR-2-CN-LR3 ARWEN Pyrotechnic CN Irritant, Long Range Three Canisters;
AR-2-CS-SR3 ARWEN Pyrotechnic CS Irritant, Short Range Three Canisters;
AR-2-CS-LR3 ARWEN Pyrotechnic CS Irritant, Long Range Three Canisters;
AR-4-W-SR3 ARWEN Pyrotechnic White Smoke, Short Range Three Canisters;
AR-4-W-LR3 ARWEN Pyrotechnic White Smoke, Long Range Three Canisters;
AR-4-R-SR3 ARWEN Pyrotechnic Red Smoke, Short Range Three Canisters;
AR-4-R-LR3 ARWEN Pyrotechnic Red Smoke, Long Range Three Canisters;
etc., etc..

As to its exact UK designation, hmm don't know?

Last edited:
I assumed (obviously incorrectly) that this was probably a common item and it was just me who didn't know what it was! So apologies for not providing measurements

It measures 40mm x 112mm and has a red band around it (indicating red smoke?). It is marked RG, so Radway Green. Does that help?

Definitely an Arwen cartridge, but I’ve not seen an Arwen case with primer before. All the Arwen cases I’ve seen, even my experimental XL19E1, have a .44 Magnum case used as the propelling charge.
I would guess that this is another experimental cartridge, probably from Porton, but I do not know the designation.

I assumed (obviously incorrectly) that this was probably a common item and it was just me who didn't know what it was! So apologies for not providing measurements

It measures 40mm x 112mm and has a red band around it (indicating red smoke?). It is marked RG, so Radway Green. Does that help?

Grey, chemical fill.

Red band, explosive content.

The AR-2 Multisource Irritant Smoke and AR-4 Multisource Screening Smoke both were four capsule.

Attachments

• 60804713-75DA-40DE-BFA0-F9FE6046E6DD.jpg
    60804713-75DA-40DE-BFA0-F9FE6046E6DD.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 22
  • B3D4990C-7F8F-4A6B-BA5D-6736CF3BBA44.jpeg
    B3D4990C-7F8F-4A6B-BA5D-6736CF3BBA44.jpeg
    275.3 KB · Views: 16