What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Confirmation of 18 Pr shell makers?

Darkman

I have a 1914 dated Mk V 18 Pr shell made by "T.P. Co. Ltd" and a friend has a 1916 dated Mk VII made by "S & R" and we're trying to determine the makers.

A little bit of research using Grace's Guide to 1914 businesses has turned up the following likely candidates:

"T.P. & Co. Ltd"
George Turton, Platts & Co. Ltd.
Savile St, Sheffield, South Yorks.
"Makers of Railway Buffers, springs etc. Contractors to H.M. Government".

"S & R."
Sanderson & Robinson Ltd.
Sheepbridge Lane, Mansfield, Notts.
"Engineers and Ironfounders. Contractors to H.M. Government (Admiralty and War Office)".

Looking to confirm these as the makers or if I'm off the mark and they're made by someone else.

Thanks, Graeme

Attachments

• 18 Mk V.jpg
    18 Mk V.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 18 Mk VII.JPG
    18 Mk VII.JPG
    203.7 KB · Views: 28
Both appear to be Canadian 18-pr shrapnel.

TPCo - Thomas Pink, Pembroke, Ontario.

S&R - Steel and Radiation, Toronto.

Thanks Snufkin,

Not expecting Canadian at all.

Canadian shells usually have a 2 or 3 letter lot code under the date. The S & R has letter E under the date but the T.P. Co. Ltd has nothing?

Also would Canada have shell production going as early as October 1914?

Cheers, Graeme

Last edited:
There is another well-marked Steel and Radiation Shrapnel here:

http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threa...it-s-not-trench-art?highlight=steel+radiation

The single letter E for the Lot is simply an early (fifth) Lot.

As for ordering from Canada, the Canadian Govt was approached for shell supply by the British Govt within 20 days of the outbreak of war. The attached early contracts listing might be of use. The monograms for the three British companies listed are PCo (Projectile Company), EOC (Armstrong Whitworth) and VSM (Vickers Ltd), and there is no British firm that could be represented by the monogram TPCo listed in any of the later 18-pr projectile or cartridge contracts (having searched).

A quick look for Thomas Pink revealed a photo allegedly of their workshop on this link:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2205107321/permalink/10154338617837322/

Thomas Pink are listed as machining 18-pr Shrapnel and with a monogram of TPCo, but if there is a better match somewhere I'd be happy to know.

Attachments

• Early 18-pr Shrapnel.jpg
    Early 18-pr Shrapnel.jpg
    293.2 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
My Imperial Munitions Board handbook lists T.P. Co., Ltd. - as Thomas Pink Co.

Another explanation of the 'E' is that it identifies the steel supplier which would be 'Electric Steel and Metals Co.' Early Canadian steel suppliers were identified by one letter and subsequently two letters. American steel suppliers were identified by either two or three letters. Not all were so stamped and some of those stamped don't decode.

TimG