What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18pr and fuze

US-Subs

ORDNANCE APPROVED/Premium Member
Ordnance approved
Premium Member
I don't have a lot of references on 18pr or less common fuzes and such, does anyone recognize this one? Diameter is 83.5mm, only stamped markings that I can find are a couple of random numbers.

18pr.jpg18pr base.jpg

The diameter is correct for an 18 Pr (3.3"/83.8mm nominal), and whilst it looks like a later streamlined shell, the driveband is not anything like an 18 Pr. The fuze is not something I've seen before either. I don't know what they are.

I've seen the fuze someplace before, my immediate feeling was that it was US. The only marking is "Remove Before Firing". There is also a stamping of inert on the body, with a date - off the top of my head I think it is 1942. Maybe a US trial piece?

Yes, as you said, US trial.
Same general design with this 105mm (from your previous thread "random museum").

ICE-jb-102-2.JPG