What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unidentified Bomb Fins

US-Subs

ORDNANCE APPROVED/Premium Member
Ordnance approved
Premium Member
Still looking for a country / bomb that these fins belong to. They are large, weighing around 70kg. They measure 625mm in diameter and are 1035mm long. No stamped markings to be seen, but there may be something under the paint. So far in my search Russia has the most with double shrouds, but generally are much more heavy/crude construction, and often welded directly to the bomb. German I have found none so far with the double shroud. And so on. Anyone have anything on these?

Fins 2.jpg Fins 1.jpg

The Fins are russian type. For example a FAB-250 M46.

Attachments

• Zuschneiden_36.jpg
    Zuschneiden_36.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 42
As mentioned, they are similar to the Russian type, but as per your photo, most of the Russian fins are welded to the body, plus they are typically of a bulkier design and often rougher construction. I'm not fully ruling Russian out, but have not seen a match other than similar in design.

There’s a lot of similarities with the Spanish BNI-3000 bomb. The tail fins are bolted on rather than welded.
i’ll try and find an image tomorrow……..

Does anyone have dimensions on the Spanish BNI 5000 or BNI 9000 bombs? Im pretty sure that these fins aren’t from the BNI 3000 as the number of holes are wrong.

Thanks Pete, that was the closest I'd come, but I had nothing on their larger designs.

Pete,

Length of BNI 9000 5.015 meter (16.45 feet)
Diameter of BNI 9000 1.14 meter (44.88 inch)

Don't have any of the BNI 5000

Regards,

Chris