What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Selection of 2-inch mortars

US-Subs

ORDNANCE APPROVED/Premium Member
Ordnance approved
Premium Member
These were part of the Iraq bring-backs in the recent acquisition. The smoke rounds were never emptied and are corroding pretty badly. They will go out this weekend for destruction. Does anyone know the country of origin for the two on the left? The far left one is sterile, no markings, no stampings. It also has a drop-in fragmentation coil, about the weight of the coil for an M26 hand grenade.

2-inch mortars.jpg

Referring to the one on the left, none - sterile. Not implying that it is intended as covert, but no painted markings, no stamped markings. There is actually one more, but it didn't make this picture. These are the duplicates.

They are all worth saving especially the smoke, although deteriorating wouldn't be a problem. if you could at least save the end caps they are quite rare in the sense they look early post war which you don't see that often. Most of this Brit stuff was sold off as surplus to the middle east, thats where it ended up.
As a help to all BOCN members who collect Brit mortars, could it be possible for you to do some really close up photography of these rounds showing all the markings and metal stampings, tail fins end caps as its great for reference. Such rare rounds that have to be destroyed. Interesting to note that the smoke body green covers the top as well.

Last edited:
The third from the left is post war belgin . produced by PRB.
The two left ones may also be PRB. However, Paksitan produces these shells up to this day.

Regards, DJH

That was my thought for the second one (PK), whoever did the first one wasn't proud enough of their work to let anyone know. As Ron mentioned, I'll take some pics of the fuze on no. 2 tonight/tomorrow when I'm off work.

I may have an ID on the sterile one, though it is sort of inconsistent with the group and where they were recovered. I should have started by looking on my own shelves. Shelf item on the left, new item on the right.

IMG_0664.jpg IMG_0665.jpg

Hi I got an E mail of you on both my ardresses, but without pictures. As I use webmail only I have a limited amount of MB's I can receive. Please use "we transfer" to send me pictures.
Regards, DJH

Looks that way to me. But recovered from Iraqi stocks during the gulf makes no sense to me.

Perhaps passed to Iraq at the time of the Iran-Iraq war when a hardline Iran posed the greater threat to Israel?