What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unidentified 37mm Projectile

US-Subs

ORDNANCE APPROVED/Premium Member
Ordnance approved
Premium Member
I found this at a show today, never seen it before and I'm hoping someone can assist. It is a four piece body including the brass tip. The three steel portions of the body are like numbered like a test projectile. There is a brass tab on the side which is flush with the body, with with a tap it extends outward about 3mm. The top steel section rotates easily a few degrees until it hits an internal block, even with the edge of the brass. It makes no difference if the tab is in or out. The brass tip rotates with the upper steel portion and does not appear to be connected with the tab. The lower section is tight and I have not yet made additional efforts to open it. There are several inspection/proof marks, with any luck someone may recognize one or more of them. Any assistance is appreciated.

IMG_0684.jpg IMG_0687.jpg IMG_0685.jpg IMG_0688.jpg IMG_0689.jpg 65428596737__1CE668DA-6F05-4A56-9554-AC478CC4DE5F.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0687.jpg
    IMG_0687.jpg
    295.3 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0685.jpg
    IMG_0685.jpg
    278.2 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0689.jpg
    IMG_0689.jpg
    283.8 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0686.jpg
    IMG_0686.jpg
    284 KB · Views: 40
The brass tip and the way is seats on the body is strangely reminiscent of the Swedish/Finnish Bofors bombs of the thirties.

Driving band looks Italian. On the lower stamping on the driving band I read “ E . M “ and under that “ ROMA “.

Hello Us-Subs,
You had the same in Aberdeen collection (Italian)
I assume your shell is fitted with an inert brass plug (the original sensitive fuze is very specific)

37mm italy doc.jpg37mm  Ital.jpg37mm Italy.jpg