What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

White band on German 7.7cm Universal shell.

starshell

Premium Member
Good afternoon,

Would anyone here be able to tell me what a White band (approx 20mm wide) signifies on a German First war 7.7cm Universal shell?
In my notes on German shell manual, it shows the band painted on the 20mm adaptor just below the fuze, but doesn't indicate what it means. I'm guessing it has something to do with the composition inside the shell?

Any pointers much appreciated.
Many thanks in advance!
Cheers.

This is what I have it looks as if it could be a different charge.
Cheers
Andy

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 42
Thank you for the replies.
In the illustration for Universal shell 7.7cm (Notes on German shells) it has a White band shown. I'm not sure if this was intentional or an error. Bocn member Frizzen has such a shell with white band, maybe he might be able to shed some light?
Many thanks!

As far as I know , they made a mistake. They copied this from the Munitionsvorschriften f FK 96nA where the adapter is displayed in white , but next to it , theres an accolade that reads ohne Anstrich . Which would make sense because all of the ones I’ve seen had a bare metal adapter or just treated & varnished.

Many thanks Bever,
Another quandary solved. Like you, all the ones I've seen were without a White band, (save for Frizzens) so the illustration of a White banded scheme threw me off.
Thanks to all for your help!
Cheers.

in the extract from the book "German shell of the great war"
the white band relates to a shell mounted on a shell for reduced firing
paint overflowing on the shell
02.PNG
01.PNG
06.jpg

Attachments

• 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 37
not the same projectile ..so what is a universal 7.7cm ? model 1915, ok its fine

despite everythink in french in the text , white ring on the ''renflement"

not a copyist monk error i think.

and it is again for reduced fire , kind regards

Inked7.7 blanc_LI.jpg

Last edited:
This one.
Nickname "universal" because of its dual use : shrapnel or HE frag (bursting or percussion).
A white band is not mentioned in this doc but could be also for reduced charge (same as HE model 15)

1.jpg2.jpg