What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trench Mortars

US-Subs

ORDNANCE APPROVED/Premium Member
Ordnance approved
Premium Member
Here are some better pictures of some field recovered WWI trench mortars. The large item in the center is a 240mm. As previously discussed, these are not well documented, and I have seen recovered examples identified as UK (9.45"), German and French all laying beside each other, the only way that you could tell the difference was by the fuze installed. This one has been tentatively identified as Italian, but only because of where it was recovered and other items it was associated with (no fuze or adapter present). The only original document that I have on these is for the American variant, also designated 9.45-inch.

For an understanding of its size, it is shown with a 6-inch Newton mortar to the left, a 155mm to the right, and a shipping tube for a 165mm at the far right. It is in front of a shelf of 5-inch naval projectiles. Larger in diameter and length than a US 100lb bomb.

TM 1.jpg

Yeah, it makes the 240mm seem insignificant. My back has been aching for a week.

Are there any of the rounds on display in Italy? It would be nice to see it in museum condition.