Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
  • Login:
    Premium Member
    Thanks

Any methods for stencilling shells ?

Hello,

Having painted a French 75mm HE shell recently, I'm now at the stage of stencil application.
    Its's not something I've done before, at least not on a shell, and wondered if anyone has any good methods of applying stencils.
    I've heard it mentioned some folk use permanent fine tip marker pens along with home made stencils, but what would be the best stencil material to use, taking into account the curvature of the ogive?
    Or indeed any other method?....

Any help or advice on this one would be much appreciated!
    Many thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Milcorem used to have stencils off the shelf, or you can try Van at Questmasters in the USA - I’ve used stencils from both and they provide good finishes. Up to you if you sponge apply or spray on the lettering if using stencils.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Member
    Images
    Thanks
    I used to use "letraset" rub on stencils - absolutely brilliant! No messing around with paints etc. Just had to find the closest matching size and font.

But I'm not sure if it is still available???

here some background on it:

https://hullabaloo.co.uk/blog/whatev...ened-letraset/

Cheers
    Drew

"WANTED - DEAD not Alive" >>> High Reward paid for any Early / Pre-WW1 Torpedo Pistols

Premium Member
    Images
    Thanks
    Hi I always use and highly recommend Axholme signs, they will make what you want at a fair price. https://www.axholmesigns.co.uk/
    Cheers
    Andy

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Many thanks for the info guys,

Will take a good look at these suggestions, maybe do a few test pieces first.
    Thanks again!
    Cheers.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Was lucky enough to get a large number of different sized rubber letter stamps and they come out quite well with lots of care.

Thanks
    I knew a guy that would professionally stencil projectiles for an, Ordnance Museum. He used a really amazing stenciling device that composed of a rubber mat that he would attach rubber letter and number blocks too. He would then ink/paint the blocks and then roll the projectile over the entire mat. The results were factory professional. I forgot the name of the manufacture of this device/system but it was available for sale at a fairly reasonable price. I will see if I can locate it.

Jason

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Stencilling should not be done perfectly as it never was especially on pre and wartime munitions. Women in the factory had to mark up these rounds by the hundreds and thousands, if it was eligible to read it was good enough. I would suggest it would be a good idea to look at original markings on the items you want to stencil, thats how i do mine, you will be surprised how miss marked some markings are. If its perfect it does look fake, doesn't look right, that hoes for the banding markings.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Many thanks for the info,
    BMG50 makes a valid point re perfection. I rarely paint shells, but when I do I try to avoid pristine sharp lines and perfectly placed font. I built a little roller bearing turntable to spin the shell as its painted with a brush. That way you get nice brush lines, and applying the bands is done the same way.
    I have a couple of nice original painted shells namely a French 75 Shrapnel and German 77, both which show clear brush marks. The remains of the White band on the 75 is basic to say the least, no sharp crisp lines there! Will post some pics for reference.
    If I can stencil the latest patient with all its stencil imperfections I'll be happy....
    Thanks again!

Thanks
    A friend of mine in a museum 3D prints the stamp using soft, flexible filament. Then simply paints the surface and stamps the shell.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to strakv For This Useful Post:

tankbarrell (8th October 2021)