What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WW2 Italian 1000 kg. bomb.

stecol

[FONT=&amp]Good evening,
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]I'm looking for information on this Italian bomb.
From the scarce info known it should be a 1000 kg. G.P. bomb and has a sort of inertial guide system.

1000kg_06.jpg1000kg_04.jpg1000kg_03.jpgAlpha.jpg

[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Could you help me ?
Thanks.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Regards
stecol

[/FONT]

The 1000kg was a special anti-ship bomb aimed at exploding in the water near the target so as to maximize the pressure effect on the hull.
1000-kilogram diving bombs - 650kg Tolite, detonating underwater close to the ship.jpg
Another version of this bomb was the GP against land targets - but be careful as the following documents, though in Italian, are post www2 and come in fact from US and UK intelligence sources and not from an original Italian source as the document above.
1000kg GP 1 Screenshot 2021-10-10 204247.jpg 1000kg GP 2 Screenshot 2021-10-10 204337.jpg
The photos you have uploaded are interesting as they prove that these bombs went beyond the stage of project and were indeed produced, even in small numbers. However, I have been till now unable to find reports of their operational use.

Many Thanks Dreamk, :shakehands::cheers:

I know, the text in italian is a simple translation from from TM 9-1985-6 or OP-1668 handbooks.

The problem is to find original italian sources.

Last edited: