What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Possible 4.5 Howitzer wooden projectile box

Gspragge

Premium Member
The box I saw was missing the lid and had been varnished. So not ideal but interesting non the less.
There were no vsible markings. It had Rope handles at each end with the proper
wooden beckets. The upper corners had metal re-inforcing straps going around them.
Inside two cross bracket/supports wich were cut out to cradle the two projectiles.
The projectiles would face in opposite directions. I presume the lid would have two matching
brackets to hold the projectiles in place no means of attachment visible.

Can any one supply an image or drawing of one ~

Did it look similar in shape to this WW2 Australian 4.5" Howitzer ammunition box ?

Attachments

• WW2 4.5 Inch Howitzer Box with HE and Smoke.jpeg
    WW2 4.5 Inch Howitzer Box with HE and Smoke.jpeg
    99.3 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
yes very much similar, the brackets on the lid correspond to those inside the box ~
Some details differ, this one had metal angle corner brackets , I should have gotten an image.

Last edited:
Here it is , even as more relic than complete undamaged example it doesn't look bad concidering.
I've never seen another one around here.

Attachments

• 4.5 box a.jpg
    4.5 box a.jpg
    274.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 4.5 box b.jpg
    4.5 box b.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 19
I moved around a couple of 101 fuzes about and plugs (those fuzes are very rare here now)
and now it looks like this. Shiny 4.5" has brass collar (no marks it was a lamp ,reject?) and no indents so 101 with straight sides, the all steel
4.5" has three indents to stake fuze so 101 with lip.

Attachments

• SDC18160.jpg
    SDC18160.jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 14