What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ID please....

FZG76

Ordnance approved
Hello everyone
I am looking for information on this ammunition.
Does anyone have any information, diagrams, identification.
Maybe a bomb used by the Americans ....
thank you
20211004_164826.jpg 20211004_164839.jpg 20211004_164850.jpg 20211004_164901.jpg

Interesting. This indeed looks like an American bomb of the interwar period, however this prominent ring for mounting the fuse is rather strange and to the best of my knowledge not seen on US bombs.
This also could be a French ww1 Gros-Andreau bomb - here too this reinforcement on the nose is problematic for identification.
Could you upload a pic of the whole bomb? where did you find it?

In an old French book I found this picture, a 500 kg bomb with the same collar.
Probably a path to follow for more documented

Yoda

Attachments

• FR bomb 500kg.jpg
    FR bomb 500kg.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 29
This is a photo of this 500kg bomb (on the left) - the nose tip is in fact flushed in line with the body
(BTW the 1000g bomb on the right never entered in service....due to the fact that the maximum capacity of French bomb racks of the period was limited to 700kg )
Bombes Girel pour avions.jpg

One possible path to explore is the metal ring added to the nose of some 10kg French bombs in order to enable them to carry a Michelin fuse when mounted on horizontal racks.

Last edited: