What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PRO DESIGN Fuze.

ron3350

I am offered this unknown fuze. Any ID is welcome . It looks like a proximity fuze.
MOD looks like USA designation. No other marks visible. I have no more details.

Fuze a.jpgFuze b.jpgFuze c.jpg

Agreed that the stamped markings look typical of US, there should have been an M or MK number before the Mod though. Does it look like it was lost due to corrosion or damage? While the shape is typical of some of the VT fuzes - particularly for some of the rockets - it does not appear to have a plastic or composite ogive, which would be necessary for a VT fuze to function. is it all metal, or is the photo just not clear?

The length of the body below the threads suggests - Proximity fuze, the time graduations suggest - time, mechanical. Put together - a multi-role fuze.

The style of the cut out on the body, for the fuze setter suggests British heritage as does the taper seat.

From this period in time the only British (Empire, Dominion, Commonwealth etc.) multi role fuze I can think of is the N97 Navy fuze. So this item may well be based on the body of a N97.

The Admiralty had their own interpretation of "L" series (for them "N") which in some instances went N* Mk* Mod*
http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=58636&d=1318665017

I think you'll find that out of image is "OF" It's a Proof fuze of some description.

TimG

p.s. Unless there is a very serious parallax error, it appears to be 14 tpi - ergo British (etc.)

Last edited:
I second what Tim says. The cutouts for the fuze setter on the timing ring are spot on to British Design.

Proof 1.jpegProof 2.jpegProok 3.jpgI am back with the fuze and information. That was excellent logic from Tim and others as it is based on the N97 base. Same graduations.
The print also shows PROOF DESIGN MM. (Whatever MM means).
The nose is a hollow brass fuze from a 20mm Hispano and the head is aluminium. All tight so nothing moves. A hole up the centre.

I do not know if this is a real design proof fuze or something put together but it was too good to pass up and not buy.
Threads are the standard 2"x14 TPI. Stamping on body is NOD 8817/70. (not MOD). 183mm overall length and 80 mm high. Thanks for the feedback.

Last edited: