What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Information Request On South African 76mm TPFSDS-T Range Reduction System

apfsds

Premium Member
Hoping someone here can provide information on the range reduction system/methods used on this unusual, South African, 76mm TPFSDS-T projectile used on their, Rooikat (Caracal) light, armored vehicle.

I have been studying large bore, primarily, tank fired, SABOT rounds for years and have never seen this style of range reduction used before. Most utilize a coned stabilizer system, some with ported and some with fluted cone stabilizers to take advantage of the, LKL Principle (LochKegelLeitwerk Principle ) to reduce the travel distance of the sub-projectile. The, Israelis have a 105mm TPFSDS-T projectile with 4 small pyrotechnic charges above the tracer that after a known distance detonate to separate the projectile mid flight causing it to fall with-in a designated range. The, UIS had and experimental 105, TPFSDS-T projectile with a ballistic windscreen that would melt due to aerodynamic heating causing the sub-projectile dart to split in half along the entire length of the dart, causing it to fall with-in a safe distance.

This, South African, 76mm, TPFSDS-T projectile seems to have 4 individual tubes connected to each fin blade to reduce distance. This is the only photo I have ever seen of it. Would love more information if anyone has any knowledge of this TP round.

To the best of my knowledge, these, 76’s used by, South Africa are an, Israeli/German (IMI/Diehl) design?
I am attaching photos of the INERT, tactical, 76mm APFSDS, projectiles in my collection for comparison.

Jason
PS: I apologize about the sideways orientation on the first two photos. They are vertical on my computer and have no idea why they are being posted sideways.

S African 76mm A.jpgS African 76mm B.jpgS African 76mm TP - A.jpegS African 76mm TP - B.jpeg

M890A2 look like scaled down version of M111, so TPFSDS-T must be same as israeli, great pics !

GetImage_2.jpg

they have a family of rounds for 105, 100, 90, 76 and 60mm guns

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree! The, Israeli designs are unmistakable. They are used under license by a few countries and manufacturers.

I really like the way they are displayed in this picture you shared.

Jason

Also, JANE'S AMMUNITION, shows, 100mm, 115mm and 125mm, made for foreign sales.

Jason

I'd image the 'fins', aka the hollow tubes, act like the single tube of the the UK's 30 mm RARDEN (30×170) Reduced Range Training Round Tracer (RRTR-T). As such the tubes attached to the fins, like the RRTR-T, work on the choked flow principle. During high supersonic flight the shockwave produced near the mouth of the 'tube' travels cleanly through the tube, but during lower supersonic flight the flow is choked. The choked flow drastically increases the drag on the rear of the projectile, hence rapidly slowing it down after that point.

Last edited:
Yes, agree! The, LKL Principle, is certainly how it works.

Now, I gotta look up that, 30mm you mentioned :) Thank you so much.

Jason

Yes essentially the same type of idea, but it won't infringe on any of Rheinmetall's patent's (US4195573, US4195573 , etc.).

Just search for tubular projectile, that should bring a few results up. A patent that covers tubular projectile is US4164904.

A screenshot from the 'Medium Calibre Section' of the 1998 'BAe RO Ammunition Handbook' on the 30 mm RARDEN (30×170) RRTR-T round is below.

Untitled.jpg

Your the best! Thank you so much for this great information and reference photo, Eggburt!

I especially like the information that alternate designs had to be found to avoid any, Patent infringements.

Jason