What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German WW1 Bomb Fuze.

ron3350

I have had this fuze for years and wish to know which bombs used this fuze and the fuze model / type ? It seems to be made in 1917 ?
It has a black steel cap and a safety pin with a tiny hole at the end. Brass nose with gray alloy body and a brass gaine.

Marked: Sp F .
Base marked 149 L 17 and a fancy LG in a circle monogram. Nose moves from the Sp line to F. Does F mean armed ?

Dimensions are:
Head is 63mm long and 65mm diameter.
Overall length is 164mm. Threads are 51mm x 2.0mm pitch (or 12 TPI).
Gaine is 29.8mm and 26mm at the end. Any information is gratefully received.

Fuze 1.jpegFuze 2.jpgFuze 3.jpegFuze 4.jpegFuze 5.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi Ron,

Nice example! (almost as nice as my one - LOL)

They were used on the German PUW aerial bombs, several different types 12.5kg comes to mind

Cheers
Drew

Last edited:
Correct Dronic69. I checked all my postings but forgot that Darkman helped me to ID items before I had a computer and joined this group.
I noticed that the other fuze looks all brass where mine is bi-metal. Mine has a cap (so must be better- LOL).

F = Früh (early), Sp = Spät (late) which are the settings for short and long delay. These fuzes were usually made by the P.u.W. (air force factory). Spandau is wrong in this case. Thread is 12 tpi.

Last edited: