What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3" Wooden Drill Mortars.

ron3350

Here I show 2 different British? 3" Drill mortar rounds that I can find no information about in references. Drill mortars are usually cast iron or "slipper" types with a ring over the fins.
I am not sure if these are official rounds or made by some unit armourer. No mention in any of my books.

First is a 2 band version with brown paint over very old wood that has cracks showing, tail is stamped REVO 1/40. Brass piece at nose and bolted together.
There is a steel coned section for weight above the tail fin. This fin has 2 welds each side of the fin. I realise there were different fin marks.
Weight is 2.37kg (5lb.4oz) so not 10lb like a loaded mortar. Length is 420mm (1ft.4.5").

Second is a later 1 band wooden Drill mortar with old varnish finish and a different tail fin. 3 spot welds and 2 at the top. No band above the tail fin.
There is a steel screw-off nose cap. Fins are not marked. A steel band for protection of the body when in use.
Weight is 1.68kg (3lb.11oz) and overall length is 415mm (1ft.4.25").

I guess these mortars were only for loading practice but wood is not the best material and would wear or damage with lots of use.

3" Drill a.jpeg3" Drill b.jpeg3" Drill c.jpeg