What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2Pr Practice Projectiles.

ron3350

Here are two 2Pr Practice projectiles. One came with a tank case, the other was loose. Both British.
One has the usual flat base but the other has a large plug that will not loosen. Why plug the base of the projetile ? Was it a tracer base?

Flat base weighs 0.804 (1lb 12.3oz) and is 154.5mm long. I can read BS P.
Plug base weighs 0.782 kg (1lb 11.5oz) and is 155.5mm long and I can read 4/45, so both are almost the same.
Are these projectiles for both Vickers and Tank cases or just the tank case ?

2Pr Practice a.jpeg2Pr Practice b.jpeg

As far as I know, neither are for the No 2 case. The only practice shot for the tank and anti tank gun was a practice version of the normal ap shot with the same profile and a practice flat headed shot. I think of your ones as Naval practice for the No 1 case.

2Pr Tank b.jpgI agree as I thought it was for the Vickers 2Pr also. I have two other Vickers Practice projectiles.
I have this image from a forum. It is hard to see if it is a solid practice ?

2Pr AA c.jpgI was concentrating on the flat base projectile. Yes it is an N for Navy on the plugged one so I guess both are for the Vickers AA round. Here is another forum photo.

I did try both ways then decided that I did not need to unscrew the plug so left it in place. Thanks to all contributors.