What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cartridge ID (flare?)

US-Subs

ORDNANCE APPROVED/Premium Member
Ordnance approved
Premium Member
Anyone recognize this one? I suspect a flare, but have no reference.

IMG_0925.jpgIMG_0926.jpg

Has anyone ever done a treatise or such on punt gun ammunition? A hole in my reference library.

Hallo,
I know nothing about Punt Guns besides having read the name. Looking at the old photos on Wikipedia the butt of the gun is held fast in a buttrest to absorb the violent recoil. The long barrel rests fixed on a support at a very slight elevation. So I imagine that this contraption can only be aimed by moving the whole punt to a certain distance from a flock of waterfowl and setting it off when the birds lift off the water. I wonder what spread such a 2inch shotgun would have had at 50 yards ?
Bellifortis.

W.W.Greener 1899 is still a bible for gun development. Attached is the page about punt-guns. The irish fowler book he revers to is available at archive.org or google books.1899 W.W.Greener-Punt Guns.PNG

But has anyone seen a reference that covers the wide variety of punt gun cartridges? Brass cases, steel cases, paper cases, lengths, calibers etc? A visual reference (pictures) could be very useful. I've seen some that could easily be mistaken for medium caliber artillery, others that confuse me greatly.

I’ve not seen a collated reference, but there are snippets of information if you Google punt gun cartridge.

My understanding is that there are some standardised cases, and other cases that were made to fit individual guns by the guns maker. Some cases that are sold as punt gun cases are actually misidentified 1.5 inch flare gun cases.

I know someone that makes dummy punt gun cartridges with a display window in the side for collectors to display. He uses the base from a 1.5 inch flare cartridge and a cardboard tube that he gets from a local haberdashers.

This site has some cases shown,
https://simpsonltd.com/search-results-page?q=Punt&tab=products&page=1

and this forum discusses punt guns and cartridges, http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=281442&page=0&fpart=all&vc=1