What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MD1's 22lb Jet type incediary bomb

Listy

I'm currently doing a bit of work on Incendiary bombs for one of the article I kick out on occasion. I'm just doing it because I found some docs at Kew about development of the Incendiary bombs. One of the documents has something al ittle bit too nerdy for the article, and is an ice diagram, so I'd figured I'd post it here for your enjoyment.

MD1 22lb J type.jpg

It's a diagram of the MD1 designed Jet type 22lb incendiary bomb. First off the name appears to be misleading as one note in the doc says it was only 20lb in weight. I'm guessing this is to avoid confusion with stuff like the 20lb prac bomb that was fitted to SBC's.
Apparently it was designed by Mr Norman Angier, of MD1 and one of Stuart Mcrae's contacts. The bomb was filled with 'solid napthalene', and the first design appeared in April 1943 and was tested at the Road Research Lab.

Jet bombs seem to have been an attractive concept in the late thirties/early forties, with a central tube containing a "propelling" gas or explosive and a surrounding petroleum filling. However in practice it had deceiving results as demonstrated by the failure of the LC 30lb Incendiary in operational use. The main problem was to have an adequate all positions fusing insuring detonation of the propelling charge.
Here are some British experimental designs

AC 40lb Fuel Oil and Thermite.jpg AC 21lb Fuel Oil and Thermite.jpg AC 43lb Fuel Oil and Thermite.jpg AC 33.5lb Fuel Oil and Thermite.jpg

and the 30lb Inc (which was in practice a primitive jet design) and 30lb Inc J (a dedicated Jet design) - color drawings from Deminest
AC 30lb MkII.jpg AC 30lb Incendiary.jpg AC 30lb Incendiary plan.jpg Screenshot 2021-11-03 213650.jpgScreenshot 2021-11-03 213833.jpg

Another earlier example is the French Mourlaque design.
Mourlaque GB Patent 1938_1.jpgMourlaque GB Patent 1938_2.jpgMourlaque GB Patent 1938_3.jpgMourlaque GB Patent 1938_4.jpgMourlaque GB Patent 1938_5.jpg

Last edited:
Jet bombs seem to have been an attractive concept in the late thirties/early forties, with a central tube containing a "propelling" gas or explosive and a surrounding petroleum filling. However in practice it had deceiving results as demonstrated by the failure of the LC 30lb Incendiary in operational use.
Here are some British experimental designs

View attachment 173197 View attachment 173198 View attachment 173199 View attachment 173200

and the 30lb Inc and 30lb Inc J (for Jet) - color drawings from Deminest
View attachment 173201 View attachment 173202 View attachment 173203 View attachment 173204View attachment 173205

Another earlier example is the French Mourlaque design.
View attachment 173192View attachment 173193View attachment 173194View attachment 173195View attachment 173196

The docs I've got mention the 30lb, and on going development you wouldn't happen to know the details would you?

Rocket boosted bombs (HE) were also embraced by the Japanese, with little accurate information found on them. I've only managed to photograph a couple, with this one in the collection. It was reportedly combat dropped and recovered from a US ship, but I am unable to confirm anything other than obvious drop/impact damage. The previous owner tragically "fixed" it, repairing the mangled fins and opening the bomb to remove internals ("it was too damned heavy") and install a small hatch in the side. Still, I'm very happy to have it.

IMG_0962.jpg IMG_0963.jpg