What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Incendiary bomb needs ID (found in Germany 2016)

Dreamk

"25 kg incendiary bomb" found in Meßkirch (Baden Württemberg) in 2016 - no other details available
I suppose that this is an early British Inc 25lb (and not 25kg) but somehow I am not confident with this identification - may be because the nose tail is present though the stabilization ring has disappeared (the whole tail cone was designed to be be ejected when the 25lbs hurt ground) or because the nose looks more as a "penetration ballistic cap" on this photo.

Unidentified 25 kg incendiary bomb found in  Meßkirch (Baden Wurtenberg) in 2016.jpg

for comparison a a photograph of the British 25lbs
Inc 25lbs Screenshot 2021-11-04 093858.jpg

Last edited:
Hello,
Looks like a common 25lb Inc MkI damaged.
The cylindrical steel body of this bomb was covered by a cardboard sleeve (rounded) ; time or fire destroyed this sleeve.
We usually find empty bodies without cardboard envelope (without cone tail)

Cardboard was not destroyed after operation on this one (found in the North of France)
25lb Mk1 Inc Bomb.jpg

Last edited:
I understand, the disappearance of the cardboard sleeve gave this "ballistic cap illusion".
Thanks!