What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

French 50kg DT2 or Polish 50kg wz.29 in Argentina 1934

Dreamk

Here's a puzzling photograph from the archives of the national aviation museum of Argentina.
The legend of this photography is false: these are definitively not Bofors bombs.
Bofors bombs were tested in Argentina in dive-bombing demonstrations by Junkers K48, as in numerous other countries, but this is a regular horizontal bomber Junkers W.34 and the bombs are ....either French 50kg DT2 or Polish 50kg wz.29
France was the main supplier of armament of Argentina during these years, but the Polish SEPEWE made fierce efforts to try and cut its share in the Argentinian's arms market (then arrived the American AAC but this is another story...).
I am unable to find external differences between the French and Polish bombs - both have the same outline on their drawings, the same dimensions ( diameter 195mm for both, DT2 Length 1180 mm, Wz.29 Length 1158mm) - saying that I have never seen a photography of a Polish wz.29 only drawings.
Who can help?
Una de esas extrañas fotos de las bombas Bofors (False identification), traídas de Suecia junt.jpg

Yes I know these drawings. they are copied from the book by Adam Popiel "uzbrojenie lotnictwa polskiego 1918-1929" which is, till now, the ultimate book on Polish airborne weaponry.
I have this book and it does not contain any photograph of this bomb (50kg wz.29)
All what is says is the following:
"This bomb was intended to destroy field fortifications such as shelters, ammunition stores and military equipment.
It consisted of a bomb body, ribs, front and rear cone. If the explosive charge was made of melted TNT or picric acid, and it was armed with a Fuze 48/60 FA wz. 35.
Initially, the shells of these bombs were pressed from steel blocks, machining them on the inside and outside on lathes. In order to reduce production costs, seamless thick-walled steel pipes were used.
They were produced in the factories of the firm Starachowickie Zakladow Gornicz-Hutnicze SA in Starachowice.
Length 1158mm
Diameter195mm
Weight 50kg"