What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yugoslav 106kg "Stankovic" Vistad Bomb

Dreamk

After a lot of research on this enigmatic 106 kg Vistad bomb, I found the following:

1) The First series of Do17K built were devised to carry 8 of these 106kg bombs
However, already with the second series the planed bomb load was 8x90kg bombs or 12x50kg bombs or 84x12kg ( and later provision was made for 92xItalian 2kg bombs or 671xFrench model Yugoslavian produced "Obilićevo" 1kg bomb).
Neither the third series of Do17 mentions the 106kg bomb.

2) The only planes for whom the 106kg appeared as a bombload were in fact prototypes that never flew due to the war

3) The planned armament of Blenheim with this bomb never took place. 90kg bombs were used instead.

It seems that the planned 106kg bomb met with a lot of production problem and in practice the classical 90kg bomb was used instead in most instances.

This is not really a surprise as the Vistad seems to have had problems answering the demand of the Yugoslav authorities - for instance they could not produce enough 12kg bombs and therefore Yugoslavia imported stocks of the Polish 12kg wz27 (called in Yugoslav documents of the period "Polish 12kg bombs")

4) I have found this unique document from September 1940 listing the stocks of existing bombs in the Yugoslav forces - In the 100kg class, there is no mention of a 106kg bomb, but there is mention of the 90kg, 100kg (Czech? some were acquired in the 1930s) and Italian 100kg bombs (besides other bombs)
Here's the link to this document:
Annotation-2019-12-14-221626.jpg

5) the only known photograph of this bomb is is fact a case of mis-identification - the photograph, from Dornier company, shows in fact a mock-up of a 200kg bomb planned to be carried under the Yugoslav Do-17K
Here's this photograph that has been running throughout the internet and recent books under the wrong title "106 kg Stankovic"
Bradic005podvesenabombapodDo17.jpg

All this brings me to the following conclusions:
Either
1) the Stankovic 106kg remained at the stage of project
or
2) this is this unidentified bomb found at Mostar in 1941

19985.jpg
but this last bomb can be something else (but what? - the only bombs over 100kg in stock with the Army were Italian bombs and though there was a 150kg bomb in service with the Navy, this seems to have been "old design" bombs acquired in the early 1930s - but I may be wrong - there are always the bombs produced by the SARDIT company about which I have not any documentation)

Any help and further documentation will be of course highly appreciated :)