What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Japanese 47mm Type 1 AT / AFV

charley777

Greetings

20211109_145604.jpg

The Japanese 47mm Type 1 anti tank and tank gun cartridge case was bottlenecked
It measured 75x285R x71.5
Can a Japanese expert confirm from the attached headstamp that this case was for those guns?
And were there any shortened cases for Blanks or Clearing Charges?
This case is 207mm long and so i want to know if it is an official issue or just a shortened souvenir.
Any information, thoughts or opinions are welcome
Thanks very much

The only info I can read on the headstamps are that the case is from Nagoya Army Arsenal, January 1943, and the fuse is from Osaka Army Arsenal, April 1943.

None of my Japanese reference books are to hand, but I think there is a useful document in the downloads section of this site.

Hi Charley,

To the best of my knowledge the same 47mm case was used for both the Type 1 antitank and Type 1 tank guns.
The case length appears to be 47x283R (11.125") - I know wikipedia states 47x285R, but my case is 283mm length.

Accordingly, your case of 207mm would be straight sided and missing the shoulder section, which on mime starts @ 212mm.
I'm not aware if these may have been "repurposed" like the British 3pdr cases - for blanks etc. How does the rim look - professionally machined or uneven (i.e. hacksawed)?

The base stampings are the same as yours - and I'm unable to find any reference which would differentiate the case usage - and is seems both the HE & AP projectiles were used in both.
Cheers
Drew

BTW - I posted my 47mm a while ago:

http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threa...w-what-is-going-to-pop-up!?highlight=Japanese

Last edited:
Yes the Jans Janssens book lists the length as 283mm and i think his listngs are based on measurements of actual cases rather than taken from manuals.
I suspect my case is a souvenir rather than an officially shortened one.
The trim seems not quite perfect ( i.e. not machined)