What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

French 75mm projectile

Burney Davis

Premium Member
I have attached a picture of the top part (screw thread and internal projection) of the 75mm French explosive projectile used in the 1897 model gun. At 267mm long I believe this is the model 1900. Both projectiles appear identical save for the slightly deeper projection under the screw thread on the left one. Can one of our experts on the subject please confirm if these are the same or a different model. TIA

I'm having a closer look at some of the French ordnance that I have so expect more questions in due course!
icon7.png

20211111_171835.jpg

Hello,
I only can say that these shells were not made for ww1 HE filling (unfinished ?)
Ww1 75mm HE were made with a notch in the top thread for the anti-unscrewing brass pin (to keep the gaine screwed during flight).
Some ww1 75mm with special filling (liquid toxic, smoke, etc) could have been made without this notch because of the sealing problem.
Afer the ww1 (30's) all 75mm were made without this notch.

For your question, I'm not an expert in manufacturing process and I assume same shells. A lot of French and foreign companies made M1900 and M1915 so I'm quite sure there is as much difference as there are factories.

Last edited:
Thanks for your comments MinenAZ16. I am familiar with the pin and notch you describe.

The picture below shows a 1917 dated 75mm projectile with adaptor incorporating the pin hole. But there is no corresponding hole in the projectile. I believe these two pieces have been together their entire life.

20211111_203835.jpg

The picture below shows a 1915 dated 65mm projectile for which I assume the same principle applies. Again there is no corresponding hole in the projectile for the pin to engage with. This projectile and gain adapter have definitely been together their entire life.

20211111_204110.jpg

And I can say that from memory most of the projectiles I have handled over the years have had that combination of gaine/adaptor and projectile. Would this just be using up old stock adaptor?

I don't know what to say.

For ww1 75mm, the adaptor with pin hole could have been used for special filling (gas or other). This hole was filled with lead. So no coresponding hole in the head shell thread to prevent leaks. In this case your combination is ok.

For ww1 65mm, no gas, so I don't understand a ww1 body without pin hole. In that case the pin hole on adapter is useless.
As far as I know (maybe I'm wrong), ww1 65mm shells should be made with this combination : notch in the head thread + pin hole in the adaptor.

French ww1 65mm HE without gaine-adaptor

65mm french without adaptor.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know what to say.
For ww1 75mm, the adaptor with pin hole could have been used for special filling (gas or other). This hole was filled with lead. So no coresponding hole in the head shell thread to prevent leaks.
For ww1 65mm, no gas, so I don't understand a ww1 body without pin hole. In that case the pin hole on adapter is useless.
As far as I know (maybe I'm wrong), ww1 65mm shells should be made with this combination : notch in the head thread + pin hole in the adapter.

I also find it strange. I have three more projectiles the same, one of which is model 1915 in two parts which believe is private manufacture.

I always wondered why after ww1 this brass locking pin was no longer needed.
I assume this device must have been very complicated for ww1 factories.

65mm made in 1926 (no notch, no adapter pin)
French 65mm HE made 1926 no adaptor pin.JPG

Also another detail on french shells after ww1 : up to 155mm a tinplate was welded on the base
Frecnh 65mm 1926.JPG

WW1 HE 75mm adapter after explosion. The vertical brass pin is visible

75mm adaptor HE brass pin.jpg

WW2 HE 75mm adapter (top of gaine) made in 1940, NO PIN.
75mm HE french adaptor gaine without pin.jpg

Last edited:
I always wondered why after ww1 this brass locking pin was no longer needed.
I assume this device must have been very complicated for ww1 factories.

You may well be right. I suspect that the gaine was made in quantity ahead of the production of the shell bodies and then used up when the value of the pin was perhaps found to be minor. Just my thoughts.

I've the same left shell but with pin hole for secured gaine. This shell was painted yellow, black laquered under the driving band, welded plate on base painted red. Used WW2 for this one...267mm long

I've the same left shell but with pin hole for secured gaine. This shell was painted yellow, black laquered under the driving band, welded plate on base painted red. Used WW2 for this one...267mm long

Do you have a picture Doctor?