What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WW2 British Flare Tins

Weasel

Premium Member
Recently came accross these being thrown out and wanted to share some pics of them and get some info if anyone can add any. The tins are marked up on the side as being made in June of 1944 some of the flares have a brush stroke of red paint on the side and two are ink stamped JP&S.

Flare 3.jpgFlare 1.jpgFlares 2.jpgFlares 4.jpg

Thanks for your reply, i have measured these and they are 3 and 3/4 inches long or 95mm in new speak.

These are interesting tins and I am pleased that you saved them.
Box (Tin) 438/1 is the usual container for Mk X1T flares when packed as 3 cartridges made by Metal Box Co. The + on the lid means RED flares.

The red wad in photo 3 is interesting and possibly post WW2 ?
I notice that the cases are re-stencilled in larger print and were Illumination J111T originally , or at least one of them in photo 4.
Possibly using up old Illum cases as Red flares. Maybe red stripe instead of the usual red band at the mouth. Just my thoughts from the photos supplied. Thanks.

EDITED. I need more information. Are they all red wadded flares in the red flare tins or are only the red wadded ones with the red stripe ?
Are the J111T marked Illuminating on the wad or red flares using old illumination cases ? Not enough information provided.

Last edited:
Hi ron3350, Here you go, a couple more pictures to add some detail showing the red closing disk in all the cases, the other picture shows that the cases with the red paint on have no other stamps and the ones marked for illumination have no red paint on the side.
Best Weasel
more 1.jpgmore 2.jpg

Last edited: