What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

From Spain for identification

spotter

UBIQUE
Staff member
Premium Member
Hello i have had these photos sent to me from a Spanish eod team .
Can anyone provide a positive identification please.
* item is 11.5 X 19cm
The granatenwerfer gives some idea of the size of the item.
Thank you
Allan
1636976334343-1047734441.jpg1636976364077-389221755.jpg1636976381844-302826627.jpg

Last edited:
Though grenades are really not my focus ......:tinysmile_grin_t:

It seems that this is this grenade:

"Granada francesa "Citron Foug" (significa algo así como limón furioso)"
A Spanish modification of a French ww1 grenade.

Screenshot 2021-11-15 223737.jpg
There are some small but notable differences with the French original and this may indicate a local production - see below

more info here on the original French grenade from 1915-1916 still used in Spain:
http://old.municion.org/espoletes/CitronFoug.htm
and here
http://amonio.es/grana_citron.htm

CitronFougG.jpg G045-1.jpg G046-1.jpg

Quite a number of grenades were modified for rifle use in Spain during the civil war, some of them imported models, some from the national Aspanish industries and some of them from local factories that appeared all other Spain and developed their own more or less sophisticated models.
for instance this one
Screenshot 2021-11-15 201428.jpg

I uploaded in the download aera a pdf on Rifle Grenades used in the Spanish Civil War.
This document can be distributed if one indicates the name of its author : Jesús Ornia (Belenos)
"Escrito por Jesús Ornia (Belenos) en Marzo de 2015 para la página web www.amonio.es. Este documento se puede reproducir siempre que se cite al autor."

I deeply recommend to visit the www.amonio.es to all those interested in Spanish ammunition. Sadly this site is no longer active (already for quite a number of years) but it is still accessible.

Last edited:
The Citron Foug is much smaller than the grenade for ID. See the size comparsion picture in the middle.

The Citron Foug is much smaller than the grenade for ID. See the size comparsion picture in the middle.
Yes Indeed - As I wrote there are differences and this is probably a local Spanish production.
Once again grenades are really not my field.

Last edited:
Hi everyone and thanks to Spotter posting my request.

This artifact was found in the northest part of Spain. Our first thought when we saw a picture of it, was to identify it as a Citron foug, but once we got at the location we saw it was much bigger.