What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

.50-inch Browning case query.

ydnum303

Hi All,
Have recently acquired an empty case of .50" Browning configuration.
On the side of the case is printed what looks like the following:-
"0.5 IN POWER CART-ELEC
RESRPC -9 _______"

Part of the lower line above is unreadable as the paint/ink has rubbed off.
There is no headstamp, and the primer has been replaced by an inverted hollow brass cone with a small hole at the apex of the cone.

Can anyone tell me the purpose of this case, and what weapon/device it was used in, please? Also who made it and its approximate date?

TIA

Roger.

Sounds like an impulse cart for some sort of power actuated device, such as the EOD tools, including the disrupter, dearmer, rocket wrench, etc. The primer is normally replaced by an electrically-initiated squib, the remains of which you are seeing now.

As Taber10 says, I used such a cartridge in the .50 De-armer EOD tool in 1989, the purpose was to cut the fuze from an artillery shell.

Thank you both for your replies.

I had guessed that it was something to do with EOD work, but I was hoping that someone would know what all the printing on the case was, and precisely what use the case was put to!

The .50" Browning case seems to have been used quite a bit for this type of application; I have seen one or two others like it, with wires coming out of the primer pocket, and different case print.

Roger.

Is it like this one

Attachments

• img_A_308756_8b04b54b1d95ba1c48f4b0ff68bcf284.jpg
    img_A_308756_8b04b54b1d95ba1c48f4b0ff68bcf284.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 26
As mentioned, the electric .50 was used to power a number of EOD tools. The dearmer was very simple, a short, blunt barrel assembly which would be loaded with different slugs (standard, forked, wedge, etc) for render-safe attacks on different types of fuzes, or with plastic containers of fine (SX-70) steel shot or water used against IEDs. Many markings exist, I have 4-5(?) including the ones shown, Crane Depot, IMI, etc. Also shown are a couple of dearmers, some slugs and a rocket wrench, which also utilized the cartridges.

IMG_1238.jpg IMG_1235.jpg IMG_1236.jpg

Tomsk, the printing on my case is different to that shown on yours;
US-Subs, very nice pictures, and interesting info.
All the appliances used for EOD work are fascinating, and are an interesting subject to study. My admiration and respect for the ladies and gentlemen who are involved in this type of work knows no bounds.