Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
  • Login:
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Premium Member
    Images
    Thanks

two-inch mortar parachute illumination round

seen a near-mint one but just thought I'd see if anyone on the forum has one in similar condition for less...

this type:

cheers!
    always looking for inert baton rounds and accessories - please message me if you have any for sale/trade.

Premium Member
    Images
    Thanks
    How much is it? Looks rough to me! No more than 20 quid unless on Ebay in which case it will be double!
    Always seeking British flares and 2" mortar rounds.

Premium Member
    Images
    Thanks
    that's not the actual one - that's pic of type from wikipedia... one I'm looking at is near mint.
    always looking for inert baton rounds and accessories - please message me if you have any for sale/trade.

Premium Member
    Images
    Thanks
    There are no cheap mint 2" rounds any more,loads of collectors and very little around. My mint ones with caps were only about 15 quid years ago. would be 40 now and the one you are looking at is the most common of all. Even if you have deep pockets your a bit late in the game.
    Always seeking British flares and 2" mortar rounds.

Premium Member
    Images
    Thanks
    £40 is ok! PM sent

Premium Member
    Thanks
    This was on an auction today. Not mine and I wasn’t bidding.

£60 hammer price, plus auction fees.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Wanted: Baton/Irritant rounds (inert) and associated items, .700 NE (inert) and boxes (empty), .32-40 cartridge boxes (empty), WW2 British shotgun cartridge boxes (empty), Greener Police Gun cartridge boxes (empty). Message me if you have any of these items for sale/trade.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    You can still pick up 2inch pretty cheap if you are patient and wait. You will find when you want one now the prices are silly money or there are non about. When they do turn up you can get some very nice ones and bargains, trouble is when stuff does turn up funds are usually dry which is typical in collecting. If you wait the good stuff will come along.

Premium Member
    Images
    Thanks
    That's it mate... experience shows that I find everything on my 'wants list' in time (even if I'm told there is no way I will find such-and-such in mint condition...), and usually at a reasonable price. Of course we decide we want an example of something and we want it right now... I always imagine all those collections people are sitting on, unexplored attics, unopened storage units etc etc - so much stuff we forget must exist and which makes silly prices asked and bidding wars on the auction sites seem daft.

Am sure many also forget that not everything a seller has is listed (send 'em an email and strike up a rapport), and that you can always try your luck make an offer rather than pay asking price!

Am sure I actually used to have one of these two-inch rounds as a kid - who knows what happened to it... think I also used to have one with a black 'pebbled' paint finish, no markings on body - anyone know what type this would be?? Anyone else think about/mourn all those items they 'used to have' (likely reluctantly sold when they needed some cash)? Haha.
    Last edited by batonroundcollector; 26th November 2021 at 07:33 PM.

Premium Member
    Images
    Thanks
    Finally got one, 1967 date, and now looking for correct inert ballistite cartridge that goes in the tail:

Assume cart for illuminating round is same as for other types? Image above is from 1966 manual and cart in cutaway for the illuminating type is shown without any text on it...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,002 Times in 430 Posts
    Note that the drawing shows 4gr Ballistite Mk2 on the cartridge. This would hardly leave the barrel? so must be a printing error.
    Correct cartridges are 47gr Ballistite Mk2 for aluminium tails.
    55gr Ballistite Mk2 for mazak tails or 50gr Ballistite Mk1 for steel tails.
    Bomb throwers also used an 18gr Ballistite cartridge for smoke rounds or 50 & 55gr loads for long-range throwing.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ron3350 For This Useful Post:

batonroundcollector (29th April 2022), Muskey (2nd May 2022)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast