What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BOCN Intelectual Property

Gspragge

Premium Member
Recently it was brought to my attention that some 30 images or so that I had posted on BOCN had shown up on a Facebook ordnance site.
Now I posted these for the express purpose of members using them how ever they wanted. I rather concider these to be BOCNs intellectual property as they are
on this site as a group. I joined that group to see what had happened and put forth my displeasure at not being asked first, or rather BOCN not being asked.
WW1 & WW2 Ordnance and other stuff
Site to site loaning is rather like one person writing a book and borrowing from anothers book, you ask permission and then give credit- simple.
I don't mind helping others/sharing even on the evil facebook - but just be courtious about it.

Spell check where art thee - Intelectual indeed ~ not:tinysmile_cry_t3:

Last edited:
Yes, absolutely correct - these days good old fashion manners have just vanished!!!

The evil empire "google internet vacuum" would be more of a concern apart from FB. Many times I have randomly "google" and found my post photos popping up.

I had similar experience with Collectors Source using an image i had posted on BOCN to advertise one of their sale items.
I contacted them and asked to them to at least credit it to BOCN, which they did.
It can be annoying as images are posted on this site, in good faith for general use, but i guess once it's on the web it is pretty much a free for all.

Twice in the last year I have been asked to comment on photos of 1. A WW1 Mills crate and 2. A Mills prototype. In both cases I had taken the photos. The crate I had sent to a couple of people who wanted one and the Mills prototype was posted on the Great War Forum. The photos had been posted on a FB grenade forum without anyone asking my permission.

Many people on the Internet are total numbskulls when it comes to Copyright and Intellectual property rights. In some cases I now write my web name and forum name on the photo before posting it. Therefore labelling it as mine.

The galling thing is that if FB or Instagram have your photo they can claim ownership of it and reproduce it at will (if they want to).

A few years ago I bought a CD all about SD2 and M83 butterfly bombs,from a well known ebay/gunbroker seller who has been selling huge amounts of items and info over many years.
Imagine my surprise when I got to the fuze section and found the photos I had taken and posted on BOCN, of items in my collection.
Buying my own pics didn't seem quite right. There was some other good stuff on the CD though.
Dave.

A few years ago I bought a CD all about SD2 and M83 butterfly bombs,from a well known ebay/gunbroker seller who has been selling huge amounts of items and info over many years.

By any chance a guy who calls himself CSAEOD?
He took about any picture I posted on the Wk2ammo forum, burned them on a CD and tried to sell him. Of course I protested and as far as I know it stopped.

Last edited:
It's not just photos that get ripped off. About 15 years ago I bought a copy of Skennerton's Grenade book on ebay. When it turned up it was an A4 sized reproduction.

I immediately told the seller it was a breach of copyright and he refunded the money I'd paid. He did apologise and said he didn't realise he could be sued for doing it. By then he'd sold about 20 copies.

I then wrote to Ian Skennerton himself and told him about it. He thanked me for my actions and said it had happened before.

I happens all the time. That's why I mark my photos with my logo. But this does not stop people from removing the logo and post it as theirs. But what can I do?
I could stop posting photos but a lot of people really appreciate the photos so that, for me anyway, outweighs the scammers misuse.

By any chance a guy who calls himself CSAEOD?
He took about any picture I posted on the Wk2ammo forum, burned them on a CD and tried to sell him. Of course I protested and as far as I know it stopped.

Yup that's the guy.

CSA is a jerk, he had a great selection. alot of items I had personally inerted, and were at the EOd school and tech center. then one day they disappeared. I had done some of his collection only later to be screwed by him, he also used a lot of my library that I thought were for reference but he put them in his books. But it is hard pressed to declare a picture as copy right if not posted in photo