Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
  • Login:
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Premium Member
    Images
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,260 Times in 576 Posts

BOCN Intelectual Property

Recently it was brought to my attention that some 30 images or so that I had posted on BOCN had shown up on a Facebook ordnance site.
    Now I posted these for the express purpose of members using them how ever they wanted. I rather concider these to be BOCNs intellectual property as they are
    on this site as a group. I joined that group to see what had happened and put forth my displeasure at not being asked first, or rather BOCN not being asked.
    WW1 & WW2 Ordnance and other stuff
    Site to site loaning is rather like one person writing a book and borrowing from anothers book, you ask permission and then give credit- simple.
    I don't mind helping others/sharing even on the evil facebook - but just be courtious about it.

Spell check where art thee - Intelectual indeed ~ not
    Last edited by Gspragge; 30th November 2021 at 01:28 AM.

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Gspragge For This Useful Post:

Anders (1st December 2021), Andysarmoury (30th November 2021), Darkman (30th November 2021), Depotman (1st December 2021), doppz92 (2nd December 2021), Dronic69 (30th November 2021), justin (30th November 2021), millsbomber (30th November 2021), reccetrooper (30th November 2021), sksvlad (30th November 2021)

Premium Member
    Images
    Thanks
    Yes, absolutely correct - these days good old fashion manners have just vanished!!!

The evil empire "google internet vacuum" would be more of a concern apart from FB. Many times I have randomly "google" and found my post photos popping up.

"WANTED - DEAD not Alive" >>> High Reward paid for any Early / Pre-WW1 Torpedo Pistols

Premium Member
    Images
    Thanks
    I had similar experience with Collectors Source using an image i had posted on BOCN to advertise one of their sale items.
    I contacted them and asked to them to at least credit it to BOCN, which they did.
    It can be annoying as images are posted on this site, in good faith for general use, but i guess once it's on the web it is pretty much a free for all.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,231 Times in 523 Posts
    Twice in the last year I have been asked to comment on photos of 1. A WW1 Mills crate and 2. A Mills prototype. In both cases I had taken the photos. The crate I had sent to a couple of people who wanted one and the Mills prototype was posted on the Great War Forum. The photos had been posted on a FB grenade forum without anyone asking my permission.

Many people on the Internet are total numbskulls when it comes to Copyright and Intellectual property rights. In some cases I now write my web name and forum name on the photo before posting it. Therefore labelling it as mine.

The galling thing is that if FB or Instagram have your photo they can claim ownership of it and reproduce it at will (if they want to).
    Author of 'British Rifle Grenades of the Great War', 'Mills Grenade Development 1915-1918' and 'Private Nurse Goes To War'

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,626 Times in 691 Posts
    A few years ago I bought a CD all about SD2 and M83 butterfly bombs,from a well known ebay/gunbroker seller who has been selling huge amounts of items and info over many years.
    Imagine my surprise when I got to the fuze section and found the photos I had taken and posted on BOCN, of items in my collection.
    Buying my own pics didn't seem quite right. There was some other good stuff on the CD though.
    Dave.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,317 Times in 671 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SG500 View Post
    A few years ago I bought a CD all about SD2 and M83 butterfly bombs,from a well known ebay/gunbroker seller who has been selling huge amounts of items and info over many years.
    By any chance a guy who calls himself CSAEOD?
    He took about any picture I posted on the Wk2ammo forum, burned them on a CD and tried to sell him. Of course I protested and as far as I know it stopped.
    Last edited by pzgr40; 1st December 2021 at 12:09 AM.
    Looking for / Suche noch:
    -8,8cm Pzgr.40.
    -8,8cm D (drahtsperre)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,231 Times in 523 Posts
    It's not just photos that get ripped off. About 15 years ago I bought a copy of Skennerton's Grenade book on ebay. When it turned up it was an A4 sized reproduction.

I immediately told the seller it was a breach of copyright and he refunded the money I'd paid. He did apologise and said he didn't realise he could be sued for doing it. By then he'd sold about 20 copies.

I then wrote to Ian Skennerton himself and told him about it. He thanked me for my actions and said it had happened before.
    Author of 'British Rifle Grenades of the Great War', 'Mills Grenade Development 1915-1918' and 'Private Nurse Goes To War'

Ordnance Approved/premium membership
    Images
    Thanks
    I happens all the time. That's why I mark my photos with my logo. But this does not stop people from removing the logo and post it as theirs. But what can I do?
    I could stop posting photos but a lot of people really appreciate the photos so that, for me anyway, outweighs the scammers misuse.
    "All live or dug ordnance shown in my posts has been dealt with by qualified EOD personnel"

Premium Member
    Images
    Thanks
    What program do you use to put your logo on your photos?
    Cheers
    Andy

Ordnance Approved/premium membership
    Images
    Thanks
    I use PhotoShop for all my editing.
    R. R. Torpedo A3 (1) WEB.jpg
    "All live or dug ordnance shown in my posts has been dealt with by qualified EOD personnel"

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Anders For This Useful Post:

Andysarmoury (2nd December 2021)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast