What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

F-15E Strike Eagle

sksvlad

My understanding is that F-15 has a single assymetrically placed Gatling gun. Why is it placed in only one wing? Would this be a functional impediment to the plane?

It's located in the starboard upper wing root/ intake area, i would guess to keep all the stores stations free and avoid gun gas ingestion into the intakes. Likely balanced by equipment on the other side. Most gun equipped combat jets only have 1 cannon, the M-61 Gatling style rate of fire likely being sufficient, noting there is a slight delay at start up before reaching full rate of fire.

Last edited:
Thanks. Also, it is electronically (computer) targeted? I assume it is not possible for a human to aim it at 2.5 MACH.

As far as I know, the gun is rigidly mounted to the frame. The pilot points the plane at the target.

Thanks. Also, it is electronically (computer) targeted? I assume it is not possible for a human to aim it at 2.5 MACH.

That might be true if the target was going very slowly but if the target is at a similar speed to the attacker you just point the aircraft at it, utilising any deflection set up in the gunsight and fire. Hopefully job done.