What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steel Tube with brass ends 5.5" x 1" BP R /I\ L Half Sectioned

roller63

Premium Member
Steel Tube with brass ends 5.5" x 1" BP R /I\ L
Half sectioned with simulated propellant.
Can anyone help identify this steel tube with brass ends ? It's a half-sectioned item, painted black, with simulated propellant inside. I measures 5.5" long by 1" wide. It has brass ends closed internally with card dics. Both brass ends are the same and are marked :- R /I\ L BP and one very small indistinct makers mark ? My educated guess is that it's British, quite old and designed to burn through from one end to the other ?
Apologies for the poor phone camera photos. Item belongs to a friend.

IMG_20211203_104537.jpgIMG_20211203_104710.jpgIMG_20211203_104510.jpgIMG_20211203_104452.jpg

it dosent appear to have any flash hole,primer hole,so how would the "powder"be ignited?

Sorry for the late reply, both ends have holes in them, but no sign of a percussion cap or similar, just card discs internally. Hope that helps.

BP,probably black powder.could be a propelling charge from a toffee apple mortar,9in or 12in something like that

What you have there is the burster charge for a 12 Pr Rifle Breech loader (Armstrong) gun, Segment shell. If you wish drawing of the shell and burst container please contact me direct.

What you have there is the burster charge for a 12 Pr Rifle Breech loader (Armstrong) gun, Segment shell. If you wish drawing of the shell and burst container please contact me direct.

That's excellent, thank you ! I will send you a pm regarding this. Would this be from the Victorian period ?

There's a sectional diagram in the 1877 version of the Treatise on Ammunition.

It's not brilliant resolution, but it's better than nothing I guess.

Right a screen capture first, then the actual image from the PDF file.

12 pr. Breech Loading Armstrong Gun Segment Projectile - 1.jpg12 pr. Breech Loading Armstrong Gun Segment Projectile - 2.jpg

Some very strange scanning was used to make the file as the page background image is huge (3476×5594), but the sectional diagram of the projectile is tiny in comparison (484×610)?