What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

End of the world movies

Here is a new one called "Don't look up" (2021) https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11286314/, it start as an end-of-the-world movie because a giant comet is going to destroy the entire Earth but actually develops into a clever satyre critique of the modern political and internet system.

Last edited:
Oh, forgot to tell you. If you watch "Don't look up", keep on watching all the ending titles and beyond. It is very common to end a movie when the names of caterers, drivers and legal consultants appear. Well, here you may be rewarded for tolerating that, remember, it is a comedy.

Don't Look Up FANTASTIC....just..... FANTASTIC... Comedy...I don't think so. just a little too close to the truth and quite reminiscent of a certain, recent "person in charge" in a certain country. No names no pack drill as they say.

Interesting, I thought it was much more of dig at a person who is currently in charge of a country to be named later. I suppose you see what you want to see. I am struck by the thought that if Jesus Christ actually appeared again, most of the world would attack and make fun of him - memes and all that internet mob stuff. He would get pissed off and go back home this time - dooming us all to eternal damnation.

Last edited:
Yes, you are probably right. We don't see too much about the current one here. I bow to your superior knowledge in this case, although to me he does not seem to be as outlandishly obtuse as the last one, just a little too invisible maybe. I totally agree with your comment about the second coming. Do you think we can blame it all on social media ?
Do you realise it is now normal to be abnormal ?
Where did we go wrong ?

I do blame social media. It has given a voice to the mob. I do not have Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or any other accounts. I knew they were evil when they went live. My favorite saying is that it is better to be thought an idiot than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. It is very hard to say something and not sound like an idiot. I noticed this long ago while listening to the speeches given by US Army Generals. They all made me think, if he can be a general, so can I. The entire internet experience demands that one constantly open their mouth and say things thus allowing the opportunity to say stupid thing after stupid thing. Even the best and brightest of us have to be very careful and think long and hard before stating an opinion. Debating is difficult. Logical reasoning is difficult. Speech writing is difficult, and yet legions feel it necessary to fill the void with their poorly thought out opinions. It is, unfortunately, one of the things that cannot be separated from the human condition.

Last edited:
It also does not help that present day people's idols have IQ of zilch. I am not talking just about politicians, I am talking about sports figures, singers, actors, artists of various persuasions (whatever art means). When a figure one admires has IQ of zero, guess what, admirers themselves imbibe that level of intelligence.

Well......where do I start, without getting political and maybe facing the wrath of the censors ( necessary I know to maintain some sort of order).
I also will have nothing to do with any sort of social media platform. They are out of control and those that use them are only doing so for virtue signalling. They crave approval from their fellow "virtuous"ones.
I have been out of the UK for the last 16 years, living a life well away from most social contact. I recently moved back and the changes that have taken place are worrying to say the least. I tried to fit in by using the village web site and was castigated and jumped on by a host of web bandits for criticising the lack of service levels from local plumbers. I have to say that the controllers of the site ( who had trained as lawyers) showed just how good the level of education here really is..... absolute rubbish. The spelling was atrocious and the use of punctuation was on a par. This from "educated" people.
I also despair of the celebrity cult. Who are these people ? If they are relying on their wit they are doomed even before they start and I wonder why we must idolise anyone whose only skill is kicking a little ball around a muddy field. What a waste of a life.
Enough from me. Suffice it to say, I admire your honesty and willingness to be out there, putting yourselves in the firing line of the trolls, those very sad little people. Well done gentlemen. Nice to know there are still right minded human beings out there.