What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

8,8cm Abkommladung

Bellifortis

Hallo,
attached is a drawing of an german WW2 "Abkommladung". I am unable to find a definition and an english translation for this type of charge. The german verb "abkommen" is used when firing any type of gun. Like the shooter says that he "got the shot off well" before seeing any result. The "Abkommladung" differs from a training-round-charge. I assume that is used to train soldiers in the right drill that has to be followed in using a gun and that it is just strong enough for the gun to function without expelling any harmful components. It is also different from a "Salutcharge".
Bellifortis.8,8cm Abkommladung.PNG

In TM 30-506, Abkommrohr is a subcaliber tube, and abkommschießen is subcaliber firing or subcaliber practice.
My money on "reduced charge" or charge for subcaliber gun (abkomm-kanone)

Last edited:
Sgdbdr's description is correct. The Abkommkanonen (sub caliber barrels) were used for economic practise firing. It's cheaper to fire a 12,7 cm Abkommkanone instead of using 38 cm shells.

Attachments

• Schnelllade_0613.jpg
    Schnelllade_0613.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Thank you all for your answers. @sgdbdr's mentioning of the word "Abkommkanone" put me on the track to the answer. Apparently this is a more than 150 years old navy terminology. I live in the middle of germany and so never had any connection with the navy. It's hilarous that a french speaking collegue can explain a german word to a german speaking fellow. Thanks again.