What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Part of an Anglo Boer War cannon? Please assist.

Andy Naude

Found these two parts that belong to something? Found in South Africa. I suspect they are parts of a British Anglo Boer War cannon.

Weight, just under 2 kg each.

They are similar in design, but the markings differ slightly.

There are various date markings and proof stamps. 1901 & 1902.

One is stamped V S & M /I\ I 1902 (Vickers Sons & Maxim). The other No 1311 R G F /I\ 1902 (Royal Gunpowder Factory ?). One is also stamped E & F.

Various parts are separately dated. The pull rings are spring loaded.

IMG_1538.JPG IMG_1540.JPG IMG_1541.JPG

IMG_1545.jpgIMG_1544.JPGIMG_1543.JPGIMG_1542.JPGIMG_1539.JPG

Last edited:
I think they are part of the firing mechanism in the breech of a Q.F. gun. The dates on the mechanism are important and my best guess is the 4.7-inch field gun, but I'm sure someone else will come up with one or two of the other Q.F. guns sent to South Africa. Depotman

Managed to strip - more dates appear.

I managed to clean up and strip the one section. The pins seem to have endured wear and were replaced. So if these are weapons related, which I suspect, their use spanned three wars, Anglo Boer War, WW1 and WW2.

I then wonder which weapon this could have been?

The one pin is marked : E & F W & P IV 1943

The holder : A R.G.F. 1919

The other pin is marked : 56 C' 8 R.G.F. 1913 E & F IV

The pin : 1 14

IMG_1560.JPGIMG_1559.jpgIMG_1558.JPGIMG_1557.JPGIMG_1556.JPGIMG_1555.JPGIMG_1554.JPG

My thoughts are going towards the 12 Pounder 12 CWT. These saw service during the Anglo Boer War and were used into the Second World War.

Breech of a 12pr. I don't see how this would work in this gun as it's a bag charge, something larger ? perhaps up to 6" ?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-12-27 at 1.01.07 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-12-27 at 1.01.07 PM.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 24
  • Screen Shot 2021-12-27 at 1.13.23 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-12-27 at 1.13.23 PM.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
my 1916 4.7 on travelling carraiges show a mechanism that is only a bit like yours in places. and it is for percussion or electric primers so has an insullating sleeve between the firing pin and body. think that may be a clue to what yours went on.

There seems to be a lot of things going on with these, more than one might want on a small gun. I'm thinking
a large Navel type. I supect these fire a primer cartridge rather than a casing directly.

It would appear that you have a "F" lock which fired the gun electrical and mechanically. It was used on the B.L 6 inch MK VII and VIII and a slightly modification produced an "E" lock as used on the 9.2inch Mk X and the 12 inch Mk IX guns.

The lock was mounted on the vent tube, which held the firing igniter, which when the breech was opened slid the firing mechanism away form the ignitor. I have drawing of this lock but for full details are too large to be placed here, that is assuming I could fight the system to place it, if required please contact me direct and I can email the drawing.