What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3 pounder dock crane ballast

BMG50

Premium Member
Anyone know any dealers who still some of the discovered haul of band less projectiles which were found in a dock crane as ballast weight. I can remember seeing a nice pile of 3 pounder shot at a show all deeply stamped but that nice i bought one for about £6 then in my stupidity sold it years later. I wouldn't mind getting another to band up, now i know i can do it. Can anyone remember what these 3 pounder projectiles came from, were they just standard AP shot or something different.

last I knew and it was some while ago a Jaguar breaker near Marks Tay, out near Harlow had a big selection of all the types of shot from the crane incl. 6in. They do come up occasionally but some are silly money. good luck.

What type of 6 inch.

last I knew and it was some while ago a Jaguar breaker near Marks Tay, out near Harlow had a big selection of all the types of shot from the crane incl. 6in. They do come up occasionally but some are silly money. good luck.

I will give that a miss, just wait next year for the shows.

One of these?
DSCF4028.jpg

I picked both up from a 1940's weekend, when I first started collecting. My dumb ass thought they were a 2-pdr and 3-pdr (as in the tank gun's). The seller didn't dissuade me of the notion.

The bottom 2 pounder top does screw off. What 3 pounder projectile was the top one for, that was the one i had from the pile i mentioned. There seems to be a few types of 3 pounder rounds.

One of these?
View attachment 173720

I picked both up from a 1940's weekend, when I first started collecting. My dumb ass thought they were a 2-pdr and 3-pdr (as in the tank gun's). The seller didn't dissuade me of the notion.

Here you go, i had one of these years ago from Falcon who also rebanded a few, i had a 3pr WW2 dated case for it and the projectile is dated 6/45, unusual to find such late dated ones as they were rather obselete by then.
Best Weasel.
3pr 1.jpg3pr 2.jpg3pr 3.jpg

the 6'' were cylindrical ie with flat fronts and the 4.7'' were pointed, both no bands and heavy, when I went there I got lots of 2pr AA of various shapes with and without screw in caps, 3pr, 3'' 20cwt and a 4.7''. No longer have any of them.

i think it could do with a little softening of the edges to make it a little more aged. If Falcon happens to see this thread he can share the process with us.
Best Weasel

They were done with a copper ring pressed into place with an old hydraulic hose crimping machine.

Unfortunately I am not able to do any more as I no longer have access to the equipment.