What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

199 AA fuze markings

BMG50

Premium Member
Does the 199 AA fuze have a red band painted around the timing ring that you move around to set the time of the fuze. Seem to have seen these painted from somewhere, unless it was used for another type of projectile.

One of my No.221 fuzes still has this red band on the movable time ring.
2212.jpg 2211.jpg

According to a document on ammunitionpages.com, this indicates the use of a slow burning powder in the time rings.

Thanks for showing the picture, looks like a clear red lacquer, i wonder if this was also done on the 199 as well.

The red band denotes slow burning powder but have only seen it on 221 and cant find anything about it being on a 199.
Cheers
Andy

Attachments

• 221B fuze.png
    221B fuze.png
    95.2 KB · Views: 50
The red painted or red lacquered ring denotes they were filled RD 202, a slow burning powder. The practice stopped 9th June 1949. Fuzes so marked included - No. 88, No. 220, No, 221B and No. 390 (not all marks). The Text Book of Ammunition, 1936, states the time rings of the No. 199 fuze are filled with a new composition, but doesn't state what it is. The plate for the fuze in the same publication doesn't show any red markings.

TimG

Hmm, I thought that the red filling ring indicated that both time and percussion elements were live whereas the absence of the red ring indicated that only the time element was live. I could be wrong, I often am!
Dave