What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Skode fuse export of Sweden

Ammunition for the 21 cm pjäs m/42 Nr 3 Skoda (21 cm kanon m/1942) used by the Swedish Army - one of the 9 samples of the [Skoda] 21 cm Kanone 39 (K 39) sold to Sweden by the Germans in 1942 (but only delivered between March and June 1944). These guns were were used to equip three heavy mobile coastal batteries. They remined in service until 1982, although training on them ceased in 1972.

Screenshot 2021-12-26 101446.jpg Screenshot 2021-12-26 101427.jpg 21 cm cannon w 42, shooting position right side. From a play manual belonging to the Emergency P.jpg

media

Last edited:
Did they use shell cases? Would love to see a head stamp, never found a 21 cm Swedish case.

No shell cases but bag charges - The Czech/german original gun - the K 39 - used a three-part bagged charge that weighed a total of 37.5 kilograms (83 lb).
The K 39/41 used a bagged charge with a total weight of 55 kilograms (121 lb) The base charge (Kleine Ladung) weighed 21.5 kilograms (47 lb) and had an igniter stitched to its base.
Every shell used by the K 39 weighed 135 kilograms (298 lb).
The Swedish are reported to have used AP, SAP and HE shells with these guns.
The The original Czech 21 cm Gr 39 (t) high-explosive shell had both nose and base fuzes and a filling of 18.8 kilograms (41 lb) of TNT.
The German equivalent, the 21 cm Gr 40, lacked the base fuze, had a copper driving band well forward on the shell and was fitted with a thin metal casing behind the driving band filled with a graphite mixture intended as a bore lubricant and to reduce wear.
The 21 cm Gr 39 Be was a Czech-designed anti-concrete shell fitted with a base fuze, a ballistic cap and the additive sleeve. It was filled with 8.1 kilograms (18 lb) of TNT.
There was also an armor-piercing, base-fuzed shell, the 21 cm Pzgr 39 of which little is known other than it had a filling of 2.8 kilograms (6.2 lb) of a PETN/wax mixture.

Last edited:
It seems that the fuse in position 1(?),2,3 have a slightly different design than (export) for Germany. Does anyone have the same opinion? .
In ammunition 21 cm PzGr. 39 is a bottom fuse specified in the H.Dv. 481/44 mentioned PZDR 32 but for the Swedish version 21cm Pzgr ammunition there PZDR 32 is not used.
------------------------------------------
Who has an opinion on that :)
Akon

Last edited:
Hi Dreamk
Every export case for Škoda ammunition is different and also fuse differ. What source do you come from when you state the same as M.40, including fuse or ....?
Year: 1942: (V3)
1)ONG , 135kg , 3 band , 10 % (TNT)
2)OPG, 135 kg , 3 band , 2 % (TNT)
3)HPG, 135 kg, 3 band , 5 % (TNT)

Year 1949 ( export )(V3,52)
1) ONG , ,2 band , 14 % (TNT)
2) OPG , ,2 band , 2 % (TNT)
3) HPG , ,2 band , 6 % (TNT)

ONG -Sprgr , OPG - Panzergranate , HPG -Halbpanzergranate .
Akon

Last edited:
What source do you come from when you state the same as M.40, including fuse or ....?

Akon, please read slowly and carefully what I wrote in my former post....I indeed cited the various differences between the Gr40 shell (that you call M40) and the original Czech (Skoda) ammunition.

The German equivalent, the 21 cm Gr 40, lacked the base fuze, had a copper driving band well forward on the shell and was fitted with a thin metal casing behind the driving band filled with a graphite mixture intended as a bore lubricant and to reduce wear.

Last edited:
Hi Dreamk
Thanks for the advice, so I'm reading slowly and I'm trying to understand the text and it still doesn't help :)

My post just wanted to say that Skoda developed a new grenade 21 cm Gr.40 for the German army to their order - a request.
Ammunition 21 cm Gr. vz.40 was from the beginning designed by Skoda for German fuse . Exports to Sweden during the war and after the war were based on the designs of ammunition ,, vz.39 ,, so I asked especially about the M.40 because I do not know that it would be exported to Sweden designs M.40 (maybe it confused me wording ,, German equivalent ... in your text).

The development of this ammunition during the war in the calibre of 21 cm was quite interesting and one of the grenade prototypes had a suction bottom cavity and far exceeded the classic 21 cm ammunition in range. Interestingly, the Swedes either did not know or could not have known about this design with greater range. This is how I described it in more detail what I was talking about in that question.
Akon

The PD fuze has the same layout as the SKHMZR fuze in the Finnish manual on fuzes that can be found in the Downloads. Thanks to Vince!
The fuze No.1 looks like PZDR 52 (Mu 26488S from 1949).

Bob

Attachments

• SKHMZR 01.jpg
    SKHMZR 01.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 27
  • SKHMZR 02.jpg
    SKHMZR 02.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
I will try to approach the letter abbreviations for this Skoda fuse – ,,SK,, story

Aufschlagsysteme :
,,SK,,-Tägheits -Kugelsicherung
,,SKN-Tägheits -Kugelsicherung-verlängert

Aufschlagkopfzünder mittlere :
,,SKH,,-System ,,SK,, -kopf für 6,6cm
,,SKHZ,,-System ,,SK,, -Kopf-Verzögerung
,,SKNZ,,-System ,,SK,, -verlängert-Verzögerung
,,SKHMZR ,,-System ,,SK,, -Kopf -Balistische äguivalent mit zünder ,,MG,, -Verzögerung -Sprengkapselsicherung
,,SKHVZR,,- -System ,,SK,, -Kopf erleichtert -Verzögerung -Sprengkapselsicherung
,,SKhZR,,-System ,,SK,, -Kopf erleichtert -Verzögerung -Sprengkapselsicherung
Aufschlagkopfzünder grosse :

,;SKZR 48,,-System ,,SK,, -Verzögerung -Sprengkapselsicherung- balistische eqivalent mit zünder VG ,Gewinde 48mm
,,SKHVZR 50 -System ,,SK,, -Verzögerung -Sprengkapselsicherung- balistische eqivalent mit zünder VG ,Gewinde 50mm.
----Doppelzünder mittlere :
MG-SK
MG-SKR
MS-SK
Doppelzünder grosse:
VG-SK
VG-SKR
VS-SK
Akon

Last edited:
I will try to approach the letter abbreviations for this Skoda fuse – ,,Panzer zünder ,, story II.
Panzer zünder-mittlere
PZD 30
PZR 34
PZDR 34
PJZR 34
PJZDR 34
Panzer zünder-grosse:
PVZ 68
PZDR 52
PJZR 52
PJZDR 52
Akon

For interest, there is a proposal for a solution of 21 cm of ONG ammunition from the end of 1946. (Only 2 rims used).
21cm V 3_ Mu 21290 S_1946_aka_Sweden.jpg
I'm also not sure if the 21cm ammunition went to the USSR right after the war ... so I assume the design work for Sweden.
- Fuse CHVZR 50 are used in the design here.
Akon

Last edited: