What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1959 smallpox outbreak in Moscow (Russian TV news)

sksvlad

This is a Russian TV news programme covering multiple news points, the smallpox story starts at 29 minutes, and you will see my parents at 32 minutes. It is all in Russian. Basically, a man brought smallpox from India to Moscow in 1959. Smallpox was a mandatory vaccine at birth in USSR. The man got sick and was brought to Botkin Hospital where he died. Then other people started dying. It was a military operation. The hospital was surrounded by soldiers, nobody was allowed in or out. My father was inside, he was a surgeon there. Then they traced all and any contacts from the original traveller to India and vaccinated all these contacts. I was one of them, being an immediate family of a hospital employee. So I am one of the very few people in the world to be vaccinated twice. You may see my parents telling their part of the story at 32 minutes. They did this TV interview over Skype. There are very few people still alive who remember this happening.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOGmxR-YrQk

Last edited:
Amazing story and made even more poignant in view of the current state of the world. Thank you for sharing