What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

155 mm Practice

Those are awesome, Andy! Thanks for the great photos. Really unusual designs.

Jason

Great find that 155mm Rocket assisted and base bleed ERFB shell. I am still looking for that to complete my ERFB range of 155 mm shells. Thanks for posting

I was holding fire on replying to this as I thought the two 155 mm projectiles would be ID'ed rather quickly? As they haven't here's what they are as far as I can tell.

Both would seem to be South African Extended Range Full-Bore (ERFB) projectiles.

The white phosphorous (WP) busting smoke projectile is the M1A1. From the rear it would be the hollow base (HB) and not the base bleed (BB) unit (BBU) version, so an ERFB-BB.

The blue sectioned version is a dummy training ERFB V-LAP (Velocity-Enhanced Long-range Artillery Projectile). As it has knubs, it's likely the M9703, this as the M2005 is the non-knubed (non-ERFB) version. There's also the M0256 V-LAP, which is the IHE (insensitive high explosive) PFF (preformed fragmentation) version of the M2005.

Actually originally invented by Gerald Bull. Manufactured and marketed by PRB and the South Africans. Also manufactured by Iraq for internal use.

Last edited: