What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4 Ringerl identification needed

Kaboom

Hi everyone
In my local area museum they have this 4 ringer Projectile/minnie ball.
It is my belief this 4 ringer was manufactured after 1866 and if this is the case then they have labeled the projectile incorrectly.
As they say it is from a battle that took place in 1865

Im sorry there are no measurements with it however i believe it to be similar in size to a .577 or .58 cal projectile
Most snider rounds i have seen in NZ are 3 ringers, so my thoughts were around this type of projectile.

What are everyone's thoughts.
If i could get a manufactures name and date of manufacture would help me be able to have a discussion with the museum about correcting there information.
Cheers

ae5fccad2c09e7cd298c863cc71eb75508885da7 (2).jpgae5fccad2c09e7cd298c863cc71eb75508885da7.jpg

got one similar no. of grooves and it has a hollow nose, was led to believe it was Snider bullet which seems correct re P. Labbett which puts it at 1866.

Kaboom,
I would suggest this is a mkVII or mkVIII Snider, given that it has four 'saw tooth' cannelures. The mkI and mkII Snider bullets had rounded cannelures and a hollow nose in which a wooden plug was fitted.
I can't see a hollow nose on this specimen, though I could be wrong.
The mkVII snider carrtridge was approved in March 1869 and the mkVIII was approved in September 1869.
Should your Snider bullet have a hollow nose, it is likely to be a mkV (1867) or mkVI (1868).
The first Snider cartridge was not approved until 1866, so the attributing any Snider bullet to the 1865 battle date would seem to have been made in error! Hopee that helps

Dare I throw the Enfield .577" P1853 M.L.R cartridge into the 'pot'? , the bullet of these weighed around 529grn.

Tony

Hi Tony,
Although the P53 Enfield was the same calibre (.577) as the Snider, the Enfield bullets were all without cannelures, ie smooth sided. The Snider was the first British military bullet to have cannelures. Some P42 converted muskets had experimental bullets with very slight cannelures, but they were never officially adopted.