What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grenade and other crates colour

Houndsworth

Premium Member
I have seen WW2 Mills 36M crates with brown paint and unpainted. Were they first unpainted and later in the war were painted? About when?

Only yellow stencils for either type?

Same questions for crates for ammunition and explosives?

Does anybody have an answer for my question about when during the war they were unpainted and then painted or was it the opposite?

Early war grenade boxes were un painted. Late war were painted brown. Stencilling in Yellow. Dont know what date it changed. SAA boxes were stained green early on which faded when exposed to uv light so they might appear unstained. Late war boxes were painted brown.

Early war grenade boxes were un painted. Late war were painted brown. Stencilling in Yellow. Dont know what date it changed. SAA boxes were stained green early on which faded when exposed to uv light so they might appear unstained. Late war boxes were painted brown.

I've got an unpainted 1940 crate and some 44/45 dated crates that are painted Brown.