What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chicom practice stick grenade

batonroundcollector

Premium Member
Just came across this - one of my favourite pieces - in one of my boxes and thought I'd share it... Not sure if red primer finish denotes that it is a prac type or if it is just unfinished?? Is 'Type 68' the correct designation (and if so does that denote this prac type itself or the live version too)?

1_53111.jpg

2_797249.jpg

3_617086.jpg

There is no pull-ring/cord inside the cap (as there would be on a live gren):

4.jpg

What is correct designation for this one, and any more info on it?

2e7bbafd-e5e4-4ca1-8247-ae86012d183d.jpg

I take it both head and stick are completely solid (base of stick is) and this was for throwing practice?

Hello Batonroundcollector!

the serrated type is US-made mock-up of the original Vietnamese Grenade, used to train US-Troops.

As far as I know there are two types of this mock-up: the serrated type and a a smooth type with "neck".
Both have one thing in common: one-single piece of solid wood (non-tropical) handle that immitates also the plug, also the grenade itself is solid.
Grenade body is sometime from steel / sometimes alu cast.
To joint the handle with the grenade body dowel / pins are used.
6364.jpgpost-1412-1242925517 - Kopie.jpg

So in the end also a historic piece of equipment - meanwhile not too common anymore.

Sorry for the bad quality of the fotos - didn´t have something better in the archieve.

A good catch!

Best regards,
Ralf

Thanks Ralf! I suspected it might not be original Chicom - or at least all original (repro stick)... I'm happy with it being an original US issued item though :) Will keep an eye out for more info on these (made by and for one training facility in US - or 'in country' - or wider issue?? etc).

Tried searching for an old thread about these, to no avail. For some reason I recall there being a comment about these having been crafted for the VN tourist/souvenir market. My examples are overpainted black with the red primer showing through. Also, during this "photo shoot", I noticed the crystalline like finish on the wood. Closer examination proved it to be a waxy substance. Which I wiped off, or rubbed in. They are displayed in a non-climate controlled shed, so who knows what seeped out. Probably monkeypox goo or some such.
Anyway, the markings match yours, as well as the fuze hole profile. Must have been a bunch shipped out years ago. Or replicated by some underground, clandestine fake 'nade maker. Sadly, no markings on my 4 cell carrier. I think I got it from SARCO years ago.

VN stick 1 (2).jpgVN stick 2 (2).jpgVN stick 3 (2).jpg

Last edited:
Re the ones above/my first example - I can't imagine these being fakes as they are too solidly-made and I wouldn't think there was a big enough market for them to justify the effort of making them (plus tourists to Vietnam aren't going buy these as they wouldn't be able to take them on the flight home with them!). I understand these red primer-finished ones are training versions and read somewhere that ones like the ones pictured above have have been later painted over black to pass off as 'real' (inerted live) ones. Looks like sap in the wood seeping out??

Last edited: