What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is this glass bowl for?

Anders

Ordnance Approved/premium membership
Ordnance approved
It has resemblance to the German glass mine but obvious isn't.

Is it ordnance related or is it something mundane as an isolation part for electricity?
I do not have the measurement, sorry.

Anyone?What is it.jpg

Glass insulator for hanging high voltage cables from in electricity masts.
It returns in ammo forums about every five years with people claiming it's a glass mine, but it's not.
Regards, DJH

It doesn’t really have any of the design requirements for an electrical insulator. It’s just a glass bowl with a lid.

I have seen similar glass objects filled with explosives and used in industrial mining to break a jammed drill bit in a borehole and to "perforate"
The charges were with a cumulative insert and without an insert on the body had a groove for detonation cord.
There will definitely be a sample of such material somewhere on the net.
Akon.

Last edited:
There is no functional /design requirement to have a high voltage glass insulator with a separate removal top/lid.

Last edited:
A lot of them where found in A place called Hoog Soeren in the Netherlands.
The Germans had a big ammunition stores there and it was transported from there to a few different countries in Europa.
It has the same colour as an insulator. I went to the Dutch electrical museum with it and they tolded me the have never seen an insulator with a lit.
This was about 20 years ago.

Chris

A lot of them where found in A place called Hoog Soeren in the Netherlands.
The Germans had a big ammunition stores there and it was transported from there to a few different countries in Europa.
It has the same colour as an insulator. I went to the Dutch electrical museum with it and they tolded me the have never seen an insulator with a lit.
This was about 20 years ago.

Chris

Hi Chris
Also about 20 years ago I met such a charge in two slightly different designs. There was explosive and a cumulative liner in each inside. According to the "Detex" kit (kits for determining the type of explosives with swabs and dripping reagents), it was a mixture of Pentrit. The cumulative insert was copper. The body of the charge was two-piece glued with glue that could not be disassembled without damaging the body of the charge.
I obtained a sample from the field of geological survey by drilling.
Akon