What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RAF Stores Code Number 14B/3474

roller63

Premium Member
Can someone help me with a positive id on an RAF item with the stores code of 14B/3474. I see from an online list that it relates to camera equipment, but no idea what is is exactly ? It's a steel box, about the size of a tobacco tin, but a bit thinner, seems to have a clockwork mechanism inside. Painted green and stencilled : REF. No. 14B/3474 /I\ I can do some pictures tomorrow in daylight. Thanks in advance.

I think it is a clockwork 16mm film cassette for a cine camera. Kodak made a camera from 1945 that took this cassette. I will ask someone that has knowledge of AFPU and wartime cameras and let you know what he says.

That's it ! a 16mm film magazine for cine camera, great idendification George, just from my description !
A couple of phots attached.

Attachments

• DSC00888.JPG
    DSC00888.JPG
    278.9 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC00889.JPG
    DSC00889.JPG
    178.8 KB · Views: 20
This item looks very much like the film cassettes used to record the radar picture from the RAF F4 Phantoms. The navigator, weapons system operator took one of these with him on every flight. They fitted into a door on the side of the radar display in the rear cockpit. When an intercept was started you turned on the camera which allowed your performance to be assessed and debriefed later. This could be days later when the film was developed and returned to the squadron! We only ever had black and white film, although this did not matter when recording the radar picture. These cassettes went out of use when the Tornado F3 came into service with Video 2000 to record the radar, but that is another story!