What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Annealing Artillery case neck

BMG50

Premium Member
Just acquired a nice 3inch 20cwt case from 2pounder Clive, Would it be wise to anneal the neck on artillery cases before fitting a projectile in a case to prevent any cracks forming, i dont want to split any part of the neck just in case. Just wondered what you guys do.

I have found annealing to be a good idea. Better safe than sorry. I have suffered cracks in the necks of brass US 3 inch, UK 17 pounder and German 88mm cases while trying to reform them. I have had no issues since I started annealing them first.

Last edited:
Hi Chris,

A number of factors including the condition of the projectile - an old trick if the projectile is not a mint /painted one, then just invert and tap it carefully into the neck to expand as it will be the closet fitting diameter - yes definitely apply suitable amount of heat (that's another art in itself) and you should have a nice fitted projectile.

I have done both (cold /heat) and the heat wins every time!

Cheers
D

Last edited:
heating brass to dull red and allow to cool will soften it but getting enough heat into the neck can be difficult with big cases, you can remove any repainting from the portion of shell going into the neck and smooth it off then apply grease to help push it in.

I manage to fit the projectile with no annealing. Impressive piece together. Sorry about the picture on its side, was taken upright, but the upload has it on its side.

Attachments

• C2B0D0CD-6DE3-4C5D-B8E4-577C8937DAC2.jpg
    C2B0D0CD-6DE3-4C5D-B8E4-577C8937DAC2.jpg
    283.2 KB · Views: 67
Last edited: