What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

12,7 mm APFSDS with sliding stabilizer

Sorcerer

Hello,

I want to share an interesting 12.7mm APFSDS round with a sliding stabilizer. It's a Czechoslovak experimental from the early 90's. Testing was done with 50 BMG and 12.7 x 108 casings.

ffe of course

Attachments

• Scan0029www.jpg
    Scan0029www.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 114
That is an incredibly fascinating design. WOW! So unique.

Jason

If you go a bit smaller (but not by much) the Bigot conversion kit for .45 ACP had exactly the same idea for a sliding set of fins. Only difference was it was fire from a spigot, so no need for the sabot.

Something not kosher looking to me about this one. I could be wrong, but my spider senses are tingling. The fact that the fin assembly is almost if not the same diameter of the bore is unusual. I hope someone here can figure it out. Its really cool and so different.

Jason

So True!

It does remind me a lot of that. Except the spigot has the fin assembly outside the guns bore and this gets fired threw the bore. Those finds look od to me for that purpose. Still, it may be 100% a real cool R&D design.

Jason

I believe you 100%, if you say it's real. It is just such an odd design. It's beautiful for sure. I hope it gets ID'd. :)

Jason

Thanks so much for these measurements and close up photo, Pavel.

Truly a super unique, out of the box thinking, incredible design. In all my years collecting, inert, APFSDS specimens, I have never seen anything like this. Just off the charts bad ass amazing :) Blown away!

Jason

Does the projectile come out of the case? I wonder if the sub-projectile has a longer body between the sabot petal with the possibility of a second fin assembly inside the case?

Jason

The projectile can be removed, but there's nothing interesting inside.
Pavel

Attachments

• P1010152www.jpg
    P1010152www.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 33