What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ID French bomb (ww2)

MINENAZ16

Ordnance approved
Hello,
Maybe a question for Dreamk.
What is this bomb ? Legend says french 500kg but 500kg model 1930 is very different.
I assume a training bomb (maybe it's a white band on the body with marking "LESTE", not sure).
The cylindrical shape is not very common for a french bomb and fins are strange.
Regards

500kg.jpg

Ah this is one of the most enigmatic photograph of wartime French bombs - 2 main points are to be noted here: the body looks cylindrical (and not tear-drop as regular French bombs) and the tail...has folded fins.
This is in fact the only photograph I found till now of French bombs with the folding fins system which was supposed to enter in service at the end of the 1930s - In fact this is the only proof that this system was ever implemented.
I asked Henry Belot, from Deminest, about this photograph some years ago but he had no answer.
A very exceptional document, and a huge mystery

Here what says the "Notice sur les Bombes d'Aviation" from 1936:
Screenshot 2022-01-23 224032.jpg Screenshot 2022-01-23 224122.jpg

The bombs on this photographs are probably 50kg bombs (and not 500kg) for which the same notice had this mention:
Screenshot 2022-01-23 225141.jpg

The dimensions seem also compatible with bombs of 50 or 100kg
In any case such an alignment of bombs ready to be loaded is more compatible with bombs of 50kg or 100kg than 500kg
The Bloch 131 that appears in the background could not take 500kg bombs but only small and medium bombs - However, one 500kg bomb can be seen on the ground behind the couple of 100/200kg that lay behind this alignment of cylindrical bombs.

PS - though they might be mistaken for an air-drop container, it is not the case. The French had in fact developed their own air-dropped container, which had a quite different look:
1940 container_with_MG.jpg
BTW I'd be glad to get dimensions and weight of this last object so if someone knows something....:tinysmile_twink_t2:

Last edited:
Nice! When you have found the reference of a French patent, most of the job is done - just enter it in Espacenet database search. Here's the result:
However, I sincerely doubt that this specific patent could have been used on bombs other than flares, as the fins look quite small - rather like mortar or rockets fins.
If you look on a scaled up version of the photograph in the first post, the feeling is that the fins have been folded according to their longitudinal axis and that their reinforcing stuts/band/box is also folded - very strange thing..
FileName.jpgFileName_1.jpgFileName_2.jpg